I woke up today knowing that I had a few things on my agenda:
1. Write a post describing last night's shenanigans (which I did in Turning 37, Taking Smaller Steps, and Smiling-- if you are remotely interested in my interactions with different types of salsa partners, you should read it!)
2. Get to my parents' place by 11 to meet Joe at Seasons 52 for lunch at 11:30.
3. After lunch, go see The Big Year with Joe, at whichever theater was available when we had finished my birthday lunch with Mom and Dad.
I accomplished all of these things, plus a few more, in what was the best day I have had in a long time. (This is saying a lot-- I have had quite a number of extraordinary days of late!) I woke up for the first time this morning at 6:30, after only sleeping for five hours. My cat, actually, was my reason for waking up. She decided to dance on my head and sing me a song at 6:30. (Now that I think about it, that was the only song I got today. I've been robbed! Criminy!!!) I checked my phone and soothed my addiction... not long after I fell back asleep until 8:30. Perfect.
8:30. I woke up for good, assisted by the glorious scent of percolating coffee. I love my roommate. (And not just because when I got home at 1:30 in the morning last night there was a birthday card waiting for me on the breakfast table.) He makes me coffee (when I don't beat him to it), listens to my blog posts before they are published, and gives me man advice. He is, in a word, fantastic. After I divulged the events of last night with Chuck, I sat down to drink the lovely percolated coffee and write my post. It was a great way to process the night.
10:20. A little late because the post took a bit longer than anticipated, it was time to shower and get ready, which I did.
11:10. I rolled up to my parents' place. As soon as I left my home I was thinking... Why wasn't I picked up? Why did I say we'd leave from their place? Joe and I had plans to see a movie after the family lunch, and then he was going to drive me home. Driving back home from my parents' condo was an extra step, but really not all that bad. Tonight I got to hear Roll Away Your Stone by Mumford and Sons, which is my favorite song of the moment. Amazing on so many levels, and very indicative of where I am in my life, especially in terms of embarking on a new relationship. I have written about this song before, most notably in The Sound of Music. But I'm getting way ahead of myself.
Last week I met Joe for breakfast at our regular breakfast haunt-- the IHOP on Colonial close to Thornton Park in the Biggish City near My Small Town. I told him that Mom, Dad, and I would be having lunch together on my birthday, and I would love for him to be a part of the day. Even though Joe and I are no longer dating, he is still a very important constant in my life. Joe is family. I'm tremendously thankful that we have been able to transcend our former selves to continue our relationship, albeit very different from what we were before. Plus, my dad really loves being around Joe. He is a man's man and so very smart-- able to talk football and give the reasons for the economic decline of America all in the same breath.
Joe told me that if he could, he would be a part of my day. And he was.
When we met him at the restaurant, he was holding a pink bag that looked suspiciously like it held a bottle of wine. It did... a wine labeled The Prisoner, a red Napa blend. I looked at the label and started laughing. Joe is a criminal defense attorney... how fitting! No Jen, everyone is talking about this wine. It's hot right now. The name is just a coincidence.
Okay Joe... you didn't have to get me a gift... but thanks.
He gave me a gift card to Barnes and Noble, too. I love Barnes and Noble. Thanks, Joe! My favorite! He said he didn't want to choose a book for me, so he thought a gift card was prudent. I definitely appreciated the thought, even though, again, just having him be a part of my day was enough.
My parents also gave me a gift card to Macy's, and a really lovely birthday card. It's too long to type out here on the blog, but I will reread the card many times in the coming weeks. Just like Roll Away Your Stone, it speaks to this period of my life. Mom picked out the card herself-- she knows me really well.
For lunch, we feasted on a roasted eggplant flatbread, stuffed mushrooms, and delectable entrees. Everything was so good. The service was exceptional as well. Alyssa, our server, brought out the little mini desserts and each of us selected our heart's desire at the end of the meal. Just delicious.
After the meal, Mom and Dad went on to do a bit of shopping at Home Goods; Joe and I took our leave to see The Big Year. I had no idea what it was about except that it had Steve Martin, Jack Black, and Owen Wilson in it, and that they each portrayed men of a certain age at a crossroads in their lives. The movie was excellent. Funny, sweet, and educational. The men were birders, on a race to be the winner of the Big Year-- to hold the title of the highest number of bird species sightings in a single year. Trust me on this one-- I wasn't sure about the movie when it started, but I was captivated by the end, and envying bird enthusiasts. Joe enjoyed the movie as well, and it provided much engaging post-film discussion.
After the movie, we stopped at Adobe Gilas for some refreshement and a naughty birthday dinner of devilish munchies-- jalapeno poppers and nachos. Naughty... but sooooo nice. I know that I will work off the extra calories at boot camp tomorrow... Sometimes one simply has to eat whatever they desire. I have no regrets. It's my birthday and I ate what I wanted to.
After dinner Joe dropped me off by my car at Mom and Dad's house, and I went inside to recount the afternoon, especially the movie. I think my folks would enjoy it very much. Mom loves birds, and Dad loves humor. (Jack Black... Steve Martin-- what's not to love?) I enjoyed spending the day with my favorite ex-boyfriend, in addition to receiving close to a hundred Happy Birthday posts on Facebook.
October 16, 2011 has been an incredible start to my own... Big Year.
No comments:
Post a Comment