Friday, October 14, 2011

Single Girl, Super Slow Day

Otherwise known as... Hitting the Reset Button, Just in Time...

After a blissful night of uninterrupted sleep, my alarm went off at its usual weekday time, 5:20 in the morning.  I turned it off... and felt soooooo tired.  My whole body hurt.  I had the flu shot yesterday, and I'm sure it was just in my head, but I felt like I needed a good day of rest.  So that is what I have had-- mostly.

I freely admit I checked my work email first thing in the morning, and I've done a ton of laundry.  Two loads of clothes, my sheets, my quilt, even my bathroom rugs.  Everything is now clean. (Come on... I couldn't do absolutely nothing!!!)

On the flip-side, I have spent the day in yoga pants and my favorite soft black hoodie, mostly on the couch, face sans make up, hair free of any kind of spray.  It has been really the best kind of rest.  I have watched too much television, and eaten a bit too much as well, but hey, this is my birthday weekend... I can do what I want.

Linette and I texted around noon.  She is suffering from overactivity as well.  We decided to forgo tomorrow's planned participation in Doc Lucky's Lake Swim until spring. 

I feel relieved.

It's not that I couldn't have managed the distance of the lake swim--  that was the easy part.  It was getting up early and driving to the Biggish City near My Small Town that was the turn-off.  I need another good, slow, lovely morning devoid of any alarm.  I'll probably wake up before seven anyway, but at least my slumber will cease on its own rather be interrupted by the funky ring and vibration of my iPhone. 

Tomorrow I'll run the prescribed three miles in the training schedule that I'm following for Disney's Half Marathon in January, but I will in my own time, when I am ready.  Maybe it will be 8:00, maybe it'll be 10:00, that's the one of the charms of being single.  I can go when I want to go. 

Yesterday while I was on the Small Town Lakefront running path, I looked up and saw something familiar-- the Small Town Adventure Boot Camp vehicle.  I stuck my hand up and waved, and our unrelenting instructor Chad and his passenger waved back.  I was pleased that he saw me out and exercising on my day off from boot camp; in turn, the exchange gave my run a little boost of energy.  Just the day before he had been lecturing us on the importance of doing more than just two hours of boot camp a week.  Fitness needs to be a part of our daily lives.... not just when we are wanting to lose a few pounds.  I agree.  (See Chad, I was listening!)

Rest needs to be a part of our daily lives as well.   I am sure in a few weeks I'll strike a balance that suits me.  After too long of not doing much at all in my life outside of work and perhaps my vegetable garden, it feels incredible to be out and living.  I recognize that in the past few weeks I've kind of been overdoing it, but I'd like to think that taking the time today to do not much of anything (except the aforementioned laundry), has been a bit like hitting the reset button.  Just in time...


Addendum:  On the author's drive home from yesterday's run, she stopped at a four-way stop and recognized the car opposite her.  It was her mother.  They waved-- and her heart swelled with love for her amazing mom.  She is so very glad when they have chance encounters on the road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment