Wednesday, October 5, 2011

One Step at a Time...

Otherwise known as The Best Therapy on the Planet...

I had a salsa lesson tonight.  It's scary to say, but I think I was pretty good.  I've learned all of the steps in the Beginners 2 curriculum at Salsa Heat Dance Studio in the Slightly Bigger Town next to My Small Town.  I need a bit of practice, but I think I am ready to test up to the next level, which is Intermediate 1.  I have a confession to make, though.

I like being in Beginners 2. 

In Beginners 2, because I've now had seven lessons at this level-- each of which has highlighted a different part of the curriculum depending on the student requests-- I am a bit of a rock star. 

I like feeling like a rock star. 

The instructor uses me (me!!!) to set the example when showing the class something new... the guys like dancing with me because I go to the right place whether they place me there or not.  Plus, I encourage them, and make jokes, and you know, we just have fun!  This is going to sound vain and I don't mean to sound that way at all, but when I look at my legs in the mirror at the dance studio, with those incredible three inch golden heels, doing exactly what they are supposed to do... it is the BEST feeling.  I have never thought of myself as a dancer before... but you know, I'm getting there.  My body moves with the beat, my hips swivel in the right places, my hands know where to go, and my footsteps are... nothing short of miraculous.  I am a testament to what one can do when one decides to do something different and actually works at it.

Moving up to Intermediate 1 will mean getting over the learning curve again.  Lots of being unsure of the steps and feeling bad for being not as good my dance partner.

But maybe I'm too hard on myself. There's no maybe.  I definitely am too hard on myself.

Salsa has been great therapy for my inner critic.  In Beginners 2, I am feeling cool, confident, and cute-- a trifecta of positive adjectives.  That said, I know I need to learn more and get outside my comfort zone if I am going to improve... one step at a time.

In salsa, as in life, one step at a time is enough.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/06/2011

    Way to go! Amazing what practice can do! And the feeling is great when you've finally mastered some variations. Keep it up and soon you'll have the same feeling in Intermediate I!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Barb! I would expect no less encouragement from a dance instructor. :-) I've already asked one of my guy friends who also takes lessons-- although is much more advanced than me!-- to come over Sunday for some practice. Intermediate I here I come!

    ReplyDelete