Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Ready, Set... What?!

Otherwise known as... Day 1... and Stretching.

After spending the weekend in half-marathon world with Mac a couple of weeks ago, I had decided that although it was a worthy goal... no, I would not be entering any races anytime soon. 

Although, I would train.

Fate intervened.   

Linette entered a contest at her work for a free entry to Disney's Half Marathon in January.  She told me she was entering, but didn't expect to win.  She came over on Friday night to pick me up for salsa, and as I was putting the finishing touches on my makeup, she inquired, Remember how you were thinking about entering a half?

Ummmm... yeah... Kelly talked me out of it.  She said I'm doing what I always do and entering someone else's world instead of enjoying my own.  She is right... I'm just going to start running again, but I don't need to enter a race.

Well... I won! 

You did?  This changed everything. 

If you would run the race with me, I'll split the entry fee with you.  It's fate, Jen.

Well, I would never leave my friend hanging--  and the half-marathon really is something that I thought wanted to challenge myself with-- so... after getting her email  this afternoon notifying me that she had entered the race, I entered myself this evening.  I have downloaded a half-marathon training schedule, and started my training today. 

I came home shortly before 4, changed into running gear, and drove to the My Small Town lakefront after searching high and low for my ear buds.  I found them, the last place I looked.  But isn't that always the case?  It would be hard to find something that wasn't the last place one happens to search for it.  I was a bit worried, because I was dressed all in dark colors-- charcoal yoga pants, a black sports bra, and black v-neck t-shirt.  But you know, I am nothing if not fashionable when exercising.

Not.

I parked, and stretched, and survived my run.  It was all of... two miles.  I was red, sweaty, and honestly all kinds of nastiness.  And it was just two miles.  I was glad it was only two miles.  I was hot, the sun was bright, and I felt out of shape and ready for the run to be over almost as soon as it began.

When I completed the directed amount, I walked around to cool down, and stretched.  Three years ago I trained for a marathon and had to stop around mile 14 of my training.  I pulled a hamstring and couldn't continue the training.  Before the muscular issues, I could run eight miles comfortably, but beyond that was definitely a challenge.  I'm sure that when I start running in cooler weather, the temperature will make a difference.  But I have to make sure that I keep stretching. 

I think that the stretch is my symbol for this period of my life.  I am most definitely, stretching.  As I have written, Linette and I definitely help each other to stretch outside our comfort zones.  We will continue to stretch, while supporting each other, together.

And that's the way it should be. 


Addendum:  The author wants readers to know that stretching is the most important preparation before and after a good run.  Please, if the reader does not intend to stretch, the author does not advise trying this at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment