Otherwise known as... It's All About the Conjunction-- or is it?
On Thursday night I caught up with an old friend... who happens to be an ex-boyfriend... my Surfer Boy. I told him about the weekend visitor I was anticipating, introduced in the post What If?. I told him I was excited, and nervous, to actually spend time together with someone I've been talking to and texting with for the past three weeks.
At the end of our talk, I told him, I think, at the end of the weekend, he's going to say, This was fun, and...
Or... this was fun, but...
Surfer Boy challenged my thinking. Jen-Jen... why does there always have to be a... uh... what is that connector thing?
A conjunction?
Yeah, a conjunction! Why does there always have to be a conjunction? Why can't it just be... This was fun. Conjunctions equal pressure! Why add the pressure!?
Oh Surfer Boy, that's because I have conjunctions in my life. That's the difference between you and me.
That was Thursday.
Friday I attended a training, then did a bit of shopping, came home, showered, and went to salsa class. A fairly normal day. Except for one thing...
Immediately following salsa class, I drove to the Big Airport near My Small Town, parked, and found a suitable spot in the waiting area. I had butterflies in my stomach, and I was full of anticipation for the weekend with my friend whom I had met a mere three weeks before. Mac was running in the Wine and Dine Half Marathon at Disney World, and would be in town for the weekend. I had offered to pick him up at the airport, and we had plans to spend Saturday together before he ran 13.1 miles.
At 10:00 at night. Insanity.
We also had plans to attend the after-party, which didn't end until three a.m. More insanity... especially for this Small Town Girl who normally wakes up at five whether it's a weekday or not. Although, we left at 2:30. There's only so much partying one can do when one has run his personal record of 2:04 in a half marathon.
We had the best weekend. Lots of laughing, lots of talking, lots of smooching. That's all I will say about that. The worst thing about having this wonderful weekend to spend with Mac is that it just makes me want more time to spend with this smart, funny, endearing man.
Who lives in His Town So Very Far Away From My Small Town.
Ay, the rub.
I know that relationships are all about timing, and that people have to be in the same place in their hearts for a relationship to work. Despite the distance, I am open to possibilities. I clearly didn't see this coming when I sent my first intrepid email after engaging in conversation with him at the SUS training. My life at the moment is full... and busy, and who knows? Maybe the talking, and the texting, and stolen weekends together, might lead to something more. I look forward to more... anticipation. When we parted on Sunday, I was good about not getting into conjunctions, and I am attempting to let the man, outside of the salsa studio, take the lead. It's not easy for a girl who likes to make things happen, but sometimes, it's necessary to do something different.
Different can be a really good thing.
Addendum: After spending the weekend in a runner's world, the author is giving serious consideration to signing up for Disney's next Half Marathon in January. She has found a 12 week training schedule, and thinks she can finish what she started three years ago before getting injured. To be continued...
No comments:
Post a Comment