Friday, January 13, 2012

13.1 Because I'm Only Half Crazy Part 2


Early last Saturday morning, as I began to write about in Part 1, I found myself on a Disney bus with Linette, on our way to the Disney Marathon Weekend Half-Marathon race.  We couldn't find two seats together but there were two empty seats one behind the other.  I offered her the first one and sat down behind her.  The guy she was sitting next to was very friendly and chatty.  This is the response that I got from my seatmate when I told him, I'm nervous but I trained and I'm ready!

I didn't and I'm not.  My sister got me into this.

Mr. Underachiever's sister was sitting across the aisle from me.  I tried talking to her but she wasn't particularly chatty either.  I was a little jealous of the party happening in the row in front of me.  But that's okay.  Linette and I took pictures of each other and filled our time chronicling our journey on Facebook. 

Facebook is so useful at times!

When the bus finally arrived at the EPCOT parking lot, where the race was beginning, we slowly made our way through the throngs of people to get to our respective corrals.  I was in F; Linette was in H.  There was a girl walking in front of us who had a fake hibiscus attached to her ponytail holder.  I told her I liked her flower, and when Linette and I split up, Hibiscus Girl and I continued on to F.  I was glad to have someone to pass the time with.  Hibiscus Girl's name was Stephanie, and she lived in Tampa.  This was her first half marathon, too.  About a minute later the announcer asked everyone who was in the armed forces to let us know, Stephanie hollered.

You're in the military? 

Yeah.

What branch?

Navy.

For the next few minutes we talked about my adventures as a Navy girlfriend in Honolulu, Japan, and San Diego and the importance of high school kids applying for ROTC scholarships.  A few minutes later I looked over at the man next to me whose sleeve was bearing a patch with his name, Tetsu.  I knew he had to be Japanese.  Ohayo Gozaimasu!  (Good morning!)  He looked very surprised, and greeted me in turn.  I looked at him and exclaimed Ganbatte kudasai!  (Go for it!)  This phrase is used whenever someone is undertaking a demanding task, and I felt exhilarated to be able to incorporate my Japanese heart into the race experience.

Hai!  Ganbattemasu!  (Yes-- I'm going for it!)  We smiled at each other.

Stephanie and I continued to chit chat before the race, watching the brief fireworks that signaled the start of each corral's time.  Our own time was 6:05.  Just before six o'clock, I peeled off the black hoodie that I had bought the day before for the purpose of keeping me warm before the race, which Disney was collecting and donating to charity.  Stephanie did the same, and I hung them on the line next to our corral, along with other clothes being left behind.  We put on our headphones, counted down with Donald Duck, said good-bye and good luck, and we were off!

The race started at EPCOT, we ran to Magic Kingdom, up Main Street, through Tomorrowland, Frontierland, and Fantasyland, through the castle corridor, and then back to EPCOT.  I ran the whole way, stopping only at water stations and walking a few steps to finish my water.  Once the cup was empty, I crushed it and began running again, tossing it in a waste receptacle.  I had a picture taken of me with my iPhone (which is also my iPod, my calendar, my connection to the world!) on Main Street in front of the castle, by Thunder Mountain R.R., and at the Mile 12 sign. 

I passed and was passed by other participants, some in costume (Peter Pan and Captain Jack Sparrow come to mind, as well as the Tigger who was just a bit in front of me for quite a few miles.) some wearing sparkly tutus, others, like myself, in ordinary clothes.  The spectators held signs (my favorite was You're Sexy When You Sweat!) and shouted out words of encouragement.  Some reading my bib and calling out my name.  Go Jen!  From time to time I held both my hands up in triumph and yelled out a Woo hoo!!! 

Before I started I told Stephanie about my dad.  She said he would be my angel.  I told her Yeah, Dad is on one side of me and GDA is on the other.  They couldn't be with me, but they both lifted me up in their own way.  The encouragement I had received from family and friends leading up to the event increased my mojo even more. 

I ran 13.1 miles in 2 hours and 46 minutes, and crossed the finish line with my hands held high.  I can't wait to do it again next year.  I like the timing of this race because it kept me honest through the holiday season.  I couldn't stay out too late on a Friday night because I knew I had a long run the next morning, and I worked my schedule around my training runs.  The 13.1 miles wasn't difficult, because I had prepared both my body and my mind for the task.  I had great music (I couldn't do it without my music!), fabulous support, and those runners' endorphins that you hear about?  They really exist, and they are awesome! 

GDA is talking about doing the race with me next year, and I know that Linette will continue to be my partner in crime.  Are you in?

Addendum:  When the author crossed the finish line she couldn't possibly have imagined in her wildest dreams (or nightmares) what would be waiting for her when she got home that afternoon, but that's another post.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/13/2012

    Sore yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a bit sore the next day, but I got a massage on Tuesday and my body has felt splendid ever since. I just wish the rest of me would catch up.

    ReplyDelete