Back on Christmas Eve, when life was sooooooo much simpler and more wonderful (because Dad was still here even though he made me a little bit crazy), GDA and I were driving to Miami, to go to the airport, where he would catch a flight that would take him away from me for three whole weeks.
Things were just getting good, and he was going away... Arrrrgggghhhh.
It was Christmas. His entire world was in Argentina. I got that.
As we were driving, the service plaza signs displayed the restaurants available for hungry travelers. Every 30 miles or so, we would see the Dunkin' Donuts signs for each service plaza. America runs on Dunkin'. Dunkin'... dunkin'... Baby, what is dunkin'?
I told GDA about the meaning of "dunk" in basketball. I then explained, When you take a doughnut and you put it in coffee, that called dunking it.
SHUT UP!!! Eleven years in this country and I never knew that!
Yeah... another day in the life of GDA and me. Everything was so much easier then. But really, every day we have conversations like this. He makes me laugh at a time when there is little to laugh about.
***
Today I went to My Small Town Middle School, to assist incoming freshmen in choosing the correct classes for the 2012-2013 school year. When our team arrived an assortment of Dunkin' Donuts was waiting for us. My Christmas Eve conversation with GDA ran through my mind as I selected a chocolate glazed doughnut for early morning consumption.
There's no harm in one little doughnut is there?
At lunchtime, I tore into my Boar's Head Maple Honey Ham and jalapeno jack cheese sandwich. I was starving. I had talked to at least 50 students that morning.
That's a lot of talking.
After my sandwich, I had one more doughnut.
It was one doughnut too many.
Indulgence has its limits, right?
It's been nearly a month since the half marathon, my last foray into exercise of any kind (outside of the occasional salsa lesson, but that hardly counts). A grand foray, but my last nonetheless.
Like pretty much the rest of the world, I've been telling myself that the diet starts tomorrow. I'm at the point where I don't really need a diet per se (although our ESOL teacher keeps yelling at me, asking if I've lost more weight!), but I do need to return to my formal sensible refusing-the-second-doughnut self.
Eating right makes me feel better. I can't control much else about my life right now, but I can control what I put into my mouth. Besides, I plan on wearing a bikini during Spring Break, which is a mere seven weeks away.
If that's not motivation, I don't know what is.
No comments:
Post a Comment