Otherwise known as.... He's the Man...
As chronicled in And to All a Good Night, three weeks and a day ago I drove GDA, my Great Dancing Argentinian love, down to Miami International Airport, on Christmas Eve, so that he could fly to Argentina to spend the holidays with his family. At that time, we knew the three week separation wouldn't be easy, but that we could get through it.
We were concurrently right, and so very wrong.
Five days later my father passed and my world as I knew it was irrevocably altered. I messaged GDA immediately and he called me as soon as he received the communication. How could he do this to me, Jen? We were going to be such good friends!
I know you would have been, Baby.
It's true-- Dad and GDA would have, but I'm thankful that at least they got to meet (as written about in Meet the Parents), however briefly.
Throughout the past two weeks, GDA called me as often as he could, offering as much support as possible from 4500 miles away. It wasn't even close to easy... but we got through it.
Well, okay... I'm still going through it but at least now GDA is here. But I don't want to get ahead of myself.
I drove down to south Florida yesterday to spend the afternoon with one of my dear friends from college and her lovely family. Laura and I had a delightful dinner out at a delicious Cuban restaurant. (Can you say coconut flan? Plantains? Ropa vieja con arroz y frijoles negros? Viva La Florida!) As my stomach groaned from all the fabulous food, Laura looked at me. Jen, what time is it?
I looked down at my watch. It's time.
Laura and I drove back to her house, where I freshened up my hair and makeup, hugged her and her hubby goodbye, and was off to the Really Big City... Miami-- my birthplace. I drove straight to the airport with the assistance of the GPS on my phone without complications, parked, and made my way to the International Arrivals Waiting Area. I got there around a quarter to nine, found a suitable place to plunk my weary bod, and waited.
I tried to read The Economist.
I tried to amuse myself with Facebook.
I tried to text friends to fill the time.
All I really did was stare at the clock. And chew gum. And drink water.
In general I was driving myself positively mad.
Just before 10 p.m., I got a text from GDA. Hellllooooooooo.... I sprung out of my seat and practically sprinted to the area just beyond the restricted space so that we could have that Hollywood super-romantic embrace. And then I waited some more. GDA was delayed by his luggage. He texted and told me that he had one bag, and was waiting for the other one.
Doesn't your bag know it's keeping us apart?
A few minutes later, we got our moment. And it was awesome. Definitely a reunion worth waiting for... one for the ages. (I'd better stop before my pal Cheddar sends me a note letting me know that he wants to hurl from this post's mushiness...)
This morning we were in our hotel room spoiling ourselves with some much-deserved down time. GDA looked at me. Okay. I'm the man and I'm saying we have to go to breakfast, otherwise we're gonna keep on kissing.
I laughed. That's right.... you're the man.
Right at this very moment I'm exactly where I should be... drinking hot tea, typing happily on my laptop, watching GDA plow through three weeks' worth of mail. It's so good to have my man home.
Addendum: The author feels compelled to inform her dear readers that although he is the man, GDA in no way resembles a male chauvinist. He is thoughtful, endearing, and loves her for being the strong, educated woman that she is. She is also considering a new pseudonym for GDA. Any suggestions?
Nooooooooo! We want a full description of the moment! Cheddar be damned!
ReplyDeleteagreed, gorgeous!
DeleteOK... lest Cheddar be... well, you know...
ReplyDeleteIt was a lip crushing, feel it from the tips of your toes to the ends of your hair kind of kiss. It was a kiss that was three weeks in the making, and one I'll remember for the rest of my life.
Is that good enough, Rob? :-)
YES! Thanks for the heart-melting moment, shared with all of us. Sorry, Cheddar. :)
ReplyDeleteAnything for you, Rob.
ReplyDelete