Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Meet the Parents... 2016

Otherwise known as... The Girl with the Gorgeous Laugh...

The very next day after our first date Z (now known as Ztastic) and I were texting casually while I was cleaning up my kitchen.   Then he dropped a bomb.

I told my mother about you.

You did WHAT?!

She wants to meet you when you feel it's... appropriate.

Oh.  My.  Goodness.

A few weeks later Ztastic phoned me on the way to his parents' home for dinner.  I'll call you when I'm on my way home.

O.K.

And then I got the call every new girlfriend wants and doesn't want, three hours later.

Hello my love.

Hello Ztastic!  How was your evening?

It was good.  We talked about you the entire time.

Oh my.  I think it's time that we met.

And so we set up dinner for the following weekend, at Seasons 52, and the evening was lovely.  They invited old friends to join us, to make the evening less awkward.

It was actually a wonderful night, devoid of anything I had been nervous about.  Towards the end of the evening Ztastic's "Uncle G" leaned across the table and joyfully extolled, You're a keeper.

I turned to Ztastic and beamed... I'm a keeper!

It was a really good feeling.  Ztastic's parent's accepted me with open arms, and kisses.  They told me that I was welcome to their home anytime. At 41, one would think that meeting the parents would be old hat.  It's never old hat.  And I always hope it's the last time I'm meeting parents for the first time.  And I dare to hope that this time, it really, truly is.

This past Friday evening Ztastic's parents had me over to their home.  We had shrimp piri piri prepared delectably by Z. and Dadtastic, and I enjoyed deep conversation with Momtastic during the food preparation.  There was music, there was wine, and as always if I am around, there was laughter.  I can't help it.  I laugh when I'm nervous.  I laugh when I'm happy.  I pretty much laugh all the time.  I have a joyful spirit that refuses to be contained, and I embrace that spirit.  It's what makes me... me.

Later in the evening Ztastic's dad caught my eye.  Jennifer, you have a gorgeous laugh.  (He himself has a lovely Austrian accent that we will discuss at another time.)

Thank-you!  My heart was bursting.  I felt as though right there, right then, was exactly where I was meant to be.  And there, in that beautiful space, my heart would remain.
 
It's a good feeling to be loved and accepted by the two people whose opinions matter most to my sweet Ztastic.  And... it's a great feeling to know that I am exactly where I belong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment