Otherwise known as... The Quiet Monday Evening
There are times when busy is good. This weekend, busy was very, very good. Friday I came home and snuck a quick five miles of running in before getting sparkly for a Friday night date in Winter Garden with Z., my splendid Love.
We hadn't seen each other in eleven days, due to my trip to D.C. the previous weekend.
Eleven days is too long.
We both lead busy, semi-complicated lives. Because I was out of town on the weekend, eleven days it had to be. We coped. Friday morning I got a text asking me for a Friday night date, even though he knew I needed to be home, preparing for a gathering I was having with some friends on Saturday evening. There was no way I could refuse. We had dinner, we walked, and yes... there was smooching. Good smooching. And then we got in our cars and drove back to our respective homes. He had plans to pick up an old friend at the airport early Saturday morning... I needed to do everything I didn't do on Friday evening to prepare for my gathering. The shopping, the cooking, etc.
Saturday was spent doing just that. And the gathering was lovely. Good friends from many different areas of my life came together to eat some cheese and drink some wine and have good conversation.
And yes, meet the boyfriend.
It was a great night. A night that could probably have its very own blog post. ;-)
Yesterday my friend Jen (there are so many of us!) messaged me and asked if I was free for lunch since she was going to be in my part of the world to pick up baby chicks.
My New Small Town is a place where folks from my Old Small Town can get what they need. It's the foliage capital of the world-- we keep America green. And yes, there are places where folks can buy baby chicks, so they can raise chickens, and breakfast with homegrown eggs.
The request was another no-brainer. My stomach was craving grease after the night of wine and cheese, and I suggested Winter Garden once again. We lunched, we browsed the plant festival that was going on, bought additions to our home gardens, but the best part was that we found in each other a co-conspirator for our many commonalities (besides our good name).
I have to say, it's amazing to me how many of my friends love to garden and raise egg-bearing chickens.
I would raise chickens, if I didn't live in the Best Condo Ever. I would raise peacocks, too. Again, another post for another time. And most likely, chickens are in my future, however distant.
And that's okay.
After lunch and plant shopping, I partook in a bit of spending at my favorite clothing store, the Loft Outlet. My wardrobe needed a bit of a spring refresh.
My wardrobe got what it needed-- new dresses, new cardigans, and a sidetrip to the Gap Outlet yielded an essential new pair of jeans. It's been at least two years since I bought new jeans, and my old pair of slightly faded jeans is turning into a pair of super-faded jeans. I love them, but new jeans were necessary.
And so tonight, after the busy-ness of the weekend, after a great post-work five mile run this afternoon, and of course, after a cold shower and donning of the comfiest of clothes, I have enjoyed cooking a simple dinner, sitting in the doorway of my patio while listening to On Being, my favorite podcast. And now, writing a reflection of these lovely, busy days.
David Whyte, the poet/philosopher interviewed on this week's episode of On Being, offered this powerful quote in a gorgeous poem entitled Sweet Darkness, "Anything or anyone that does not bring you alive is too small for you".
I am so grateful for my dear friends and family who make me feel alive.
Author's note: The author is aware that she had planned to participate in a 5K on Saturday morning... however a miscommunication led to non-participation in said 5K. The author is good with that. Two races in one week is really more than most can handle... 3? Forget about it!
No comments:
Post a Comment