Otherwise known as... Challenge... Accepted
This time of year we are inundated with diet and exercise tips. Exercise apparel-- and equipment-- go on sale, and we make promises to ourselves about how we will be so much better this year than last.
I am making no... such... promise.
My Year of Awesomeness continues, having begun in August with the 2013-2014 school year. This calendar year, however, will encompass a larger theme.
2014 is my Year of Enough.
I have enough. I do enough. I am enough.
This is the year I will turn forty years-old. I am one of the legion of women in America who are educated, unmarried, and childless. This was not my plan, but it is my life.
I love my life.
2014 is the year I will discard the Scarlet Letter S that society settles upon women in my, ahem, situation, and cease to apologize for being single. No, there is nothing wrong with me. I am smart enough. I am cute enough. I am thin enough. I am social enough. I absolutely work hard enough. (I might even work too much.) I love enough.
I probably don't cook enough, and that's okay.
I have rich relationships with my friends, both women and men alike. I hug their children-- some even call me Auntie Jen. My friends have become family. We tell each other we love each other, speaking without the worry of social constraints. We confide secrets, and longings, and dreams. We help each other attain our goals. We give support, and sometimes we even cry together.
I will continue to date, and entertain friends with tales of pleasure and pain in my journey... but I will no longer feel the need to exclaim I AM HAPPY to people when they inquire about the status of my love life, as has been my stock declaration over the past few years.
I am indeed quite happy. In 2014, I will live the life I already have-- one of peace, and meaning, and love.
A life that is enough.
Author's Note: This special addition to Single was inspired by the amazing author of Hillis Hilarity, and her last post, entitled, Unoriginally Happy.

No comments:
Post a Comment