Otherwise known as A Very Wet Day Indeed...
Linette and I were supposed to do Lucky's Lake Swim today, swimming 6/10 of a mile on open water in a lake in Orlando.
Mother Nature had other plans. Outside is a torrential downpour, which is supposed to continue for the next 48 hours.
Crum.
We discussed the weather last night when she dropped me off after our salsa class, and made the decision to postpone our lake swim until next Saturday. It will make for a busy day, because that night we will be dancing our little hearts out at Salsa Heat's Saturday Night Salsa Social in the Slightly Bigger Town Next to Our Small Town. We are nothing if not up for the task of enjoying two great events in one day. Especially when that day happens to be the day before my birthday!
In making plans, sometimes it is best to be flexible.
Last night, we think largely due to the rain, there were three men and two women (Linette and I) in the Beginner 2 class at Salsa Heat. It was a great opportunity for us. Everyone had been in this level before, and we only needed to briefly review Dile Que No, which is retaught at the beginning of each and every Beginner 2 class, without having to spend over half the class going over the basics. I think Dile Que No is retaught each time because it is so integral to the transition of the next dance move-- couples can always come together and Dile Que No after every move. So, we Dile Que No'ed, we practiced Check and Vuelta, and then Sombrero.
Just like Wednesday (as described in One Step at a Time...), I twisted and turned, and checked out my dancer's legs in the mirror the few moments I had the opportunity. I really started getting into it, smiling, hips wiggling, head-whipping in the turns. Fun, fun, fun, I tell you! I kept my eyes locked with my partner's, and 98% of my head in the lesson. The other 2% was thinking about the pounding rain on the studio's roof. It caused me to fail to hear one of the teacher's calls as we danced, but you know... overall I would give myself a B+.
After class I went to retrieve my handbag from its little cubbie. I was greeted by Anthony, who had once been in my initial Beginner 2 classes, but had tested up a few weeks ago. (Intermediate classes follow the Beginner Class time.)
Hey Jen! Where've you been?
I've been HERE! I'm testing up though, so maybe next week...
Yeah... we need you! I looked around the room... and didn't see a shortage of female dance partners.
Really? Well... see you next Friday.
Indeed.
In order to continue my education, tomorrow I'll be practicing at home with my pal Dr. Dance, who has been taking lessons for over a year and is a student in Intermediate 2. Dr. Dance has a great sense of humor, with Look at you! being his phrase of choice. A couple of nights ago, when I texted him and proposed a practice session for the purpose of helping me prepare to test up, I told him I've missed hearing Look at you over the past couple of weeks.
Well, Jen, get ready to hear it!
I am sure come tomorrow afternoon we'll be swiveling, spinning, and smiling. Gettin' our salsa groove on; demonstrating flexibility. It will be a great way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment