Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My Secret...

Otherwise known as... Single... and Loving It.

Today I walked into the portable that is housing our Teacher's Lounge while the administration building at My Small Town High School is undergoing renovations. I needed to make some copies for a classroom guidance activity that I am doing tomorrow.  Our school nurse and our resident Copy Queen were in the portable.  One of them looked at me and asked, Are you losing weight?

In an instant, the myriad of ways that question could be answered ran through my head but, in the end, the short answer won out:  Yes.

WHY?  You don't need to!

They don't know the size I started at before the weight loss and that's okay.  Well... I look great with clothes on but without... not so much! 

Oh-- you are doing it for your BOYFRIEND! 

No, I don't have a boyfriend.  I am doing it for me.  I am 37 years-old, and I am happy, and you know, he's out there.  In the meantime though, I have a secret:  No husband, no children, no wrinkles!

It's true.  I do look young for my age.  I definitely attribute my youthful glow to the above three factors.  Just as I discussed in my post last week about meeting up for cupcakes with my old friend Robin, it's a trade off.

Whenever I get carded and the checkout woman is shocked, (it's always the older women who card me and are surprised when they learn my age; the young whipper-snappers know I'm not their age and call me ma'am) I tell her my maxim:  No husband, no children, no wrinkles, and she replies, You know, I think you're right!  We chuckle and I go home with my single girl groceries:  baby carrots, apples, Publix organic spinach and feta pizzas, hummus, Greek yogurt, sparkling water, and perhaps a bottle of vino to enjoy over the course of the week. 

When the time comes, I will gladly take the wrinkles.  (And all things splendid and difficult that go with being coupled-- especially the love.)  Meanwhile, I am still having adventures, spending time with both male and female friends, and having the best life.

It is true.  I am single.... and loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment