Thursday, October 13, 2011

Testing Up

Otherwise known as.... Salsa in Socks...

Tuesday, as described in Ready, Set... What?!, I started my training for the Disney Half-Marathon in January, to support my friend Linette's efforts, and to stretch myself a bit.  After the run I took a lovely cold shower, and got ready to go to Salsa Heat.  I don't normally go on Tuesdays, but on Wednesdays and Fridays they have Zumba just prior to the Beginner 1 and 2 salsa classes, which are simultaneously taught on opposite sides of the studio.  My reason for going on Tuesday was to see if I could test up to the Intermediate 1 level, and I didn't want to compete with the Zumba music.

I was nervous, but I had practiced with Dr. Dance on Sunday, and attended the social that evening to continue practicing my skills.  I am by no means good, but you know, every little bit helps.  And I know I won't get better if I don't practice.  I told the instructor that I wanted to try to test up, and after a few minutes she was ready for me.  I didn't know what to expect.  Toni just kind of took me in her arms and led me through all the different moves that I had learned in Beginner 2.  She didn't call them out, did them one right after the other, and the only one I stumbled on was Check and Vuelta, which always kind of catches me off guard. 

The Check and Vuelta move begins on count three, when my dance partner releases my right hand, I take my left hand and lean on their left hand, then the partner pushes me off, I do a left turn, and return to basic, or do another cross body turn (also called Dile Que No).  Many times when my right hand is released, I forget to do the move.  It happened during the test... so the instructor told me we'd do it again... and we did, and I was fine.  I told her I only wanted to move up if she thought I was ready... she explained that she wanted me to take one more Beginner Two lesson, focusing on controlling my body and taking smaller steps.  Toni gave me one additional piece of advice.

I want you to start wearing socks. Your body is spending too much time trying to keep balanced that it interferes with learning.  Wear socks, or jazz shoes, and eventually a pair of real dance shoes... but in the meantime, socks are okay.

Dr. Dance had told me on Sunday that most of the people at his Salsa Heat location wear socks, and was surprised when I replied that I hadn't seen anyone in socks at my location. 

Last night, I went to my first Intermediate 1 lesson, and although it was incredibly nerve wracking feeling so out of my league during the warm up, I stuck it out, and the lesson wasn't nearly as hard as I thought.  Don't get me wrong... I made lots of mistakes, but the lesson was largely putting together moves that I had learned in Beginner 2.  Mostly I turned right when I should have turned left.  Just as before, there were certain partners that I did everything right with... and other partners where my skills fell apart a little bit.  I think that's where the leading comes in, but I'm not placing the blame on anyone but myself. 

I spent this morning administering FCAT retakes in one of our computer labs at school.  When we were down to just one student, I took my shoes off, got out of her line of sight, and danced.  I danced basic step, dile que no, and continually practiced right and left turns.  When I got dizzy, I'd go back to basic step.  One two three... five six seven...

Don't tell anyone.... but it was actually kind of fun. 

I'm taking tomorrow evening off... I need a break before going to the social on Saturday night.  Linette and I have several salsa class dance partners who will be meeting us there.  We're looking forward to dancing the night away.... stretching our skills, and getting our salsa groove on.  I can't think of a better way of welcoming my 37th year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment