Saturday, October 15, 2011

The 1st Birthday Lunch of the Birthday Weekend

Otherwise known as Sustaining My Inner Food Snob...

There is a gastropub in the Biggish Town near My Small Town called The Ravenous Pig.  The food is, in a word, heavenly.  It's a bit on the pricy side for those of us from My Small Town, but sooooooo worth it.  I woke up today dying to go to the Ravenous Pig.  I had an unexpected free Saturday, since Linette and I chose to forgo the lake swim this morning in favor of a slower morning.  (In actuality, I was finished with my three mile run by 9 a.m.  The morning wasn't all that slow.) 

First I texted Linette, whom I knew really needed a slow day as well, but I was aware that she had never been to the Pig, and we had talked about going after completing the Lucky's Lake Swim. 

She didn't respond.  At least, not immediately.

I then texted my pal Jack, whom I had gone to FSU with, and is now an attorney in Orlando.  I knew if he was free, he would be good for lunch at the Pig. 

He was.  We agreed to meet at his place at 11:15, so I could meet his new dog, Jesse James, before we embarked on our gastronomique adventure. 

I texted Linette again and told her she was off the hook, and to rest well.  We have a long, lovely night of salsa dancing ahead of us.  (I can't wait!!!)

I arrived at Jack's place at the appointed time, and met his wonderful dog, and then we drove to The Ravenous Pig. Mmmmmmm.... I was SO excited.  It was my little birthday gift to myself.  For an appetizer, we split an order of soft pretzels that was served with a cheese sauce as well as a little cup of grainy mustard.  I ordered an IPA-- Terrapin's Hopsecutioner.  A strong beer, but an appropriate name for this time of year.  For our main course we both ordered the mussels, which were accompanied by truffle fries.  (They weren't quite as good as the truffle fries served at The Enzian; my favorite indie movie theater serves thicker truffle fries). 

The meal was amazing.  Our server, Bree, asked me if I was finished and I gave her an affirmative answer, but I thought she just meant the mussels.  She cleared everything away--  the mussels bowl, the remaining half of my fries (which I was still picking at) and the swallow of beer left in my glass. 

It happened so fast... and there was no stopping the machine.

That's okay.  I really didn't need all those fries... but they were good. 

For dessert, we opted drive to the chi-chi Park Avenue area in search of chocolate cake.  The Pig didn't serve cake at lunchtime; only an assortment of ice creams and beignets with chocolate sauce for dessert.  Not exactly what I was looking for.  Jack and I split the check, and we were off to Park Avenue to find the cake of this afternoon's dreams.  It took a little while, but we most definitely found what we were looking for at 310 Park Avenue, whilst sitting at the bar, having a beer, consuming a double chocolate delight. 

I really love birthday weekends.

Jack and I got caught up on our relationship stories, and other recent events in our lives.  We had a lot of fun.  He also paid me a great compliment:

Jen, you look great, and you give off really happy vibe.

That's because I am.  And thanks!

We talked a little bit about the place I was in when we first got reconnected a year and a half ago.  So much has changed-- for the better.  I am definitely looking forward to the next time I have lunch at the Ravenous Pig, but in the meantime, the memories of today's meal will most definitely sustain... my inner food snob. 

No comments:

Post a Comment