Otherwise known as Enemy Thy Name is Indigestion...
I wrote in The Big Year about having a sinfully wicked dinner at Adobe Gila's, after having a divinely delicious lunch at Seasons 52. This morning I woke up... and couldn't stomach anything beyond a fresh banana. I tossed my last Oikos vanilla yogurt and a pink grapefruit into my purse, and was off to work. I was excited to go to work today (not that I'm not usually excited!) because I knew that there would be CAKE. Even though my stomach was a bit grumpy from the wickedness, I am a sucker for cake.
Whenever I get to work, the first thing I do is to sign in... because even though the portable that holds the sign-in sheet is directly across from mine, if I don't go first thing in the morning, I never get over there. As I was leaving the "teacher's lounge" portable this morning, after signing in, I was greeted by the sight of Elaine, our wonderfully disgruntled assistant who keeps us in stitches, walking up the ramp, carrying something in a 9x13 baking pan.
What's THAT, Elaine?
Oh... you'll find out later.
Not even five minutes and I had sussed out the cake. I am good.
I hadn't had time to go to Publix yesterday, so I was without my requisite carrot sticks that I eat with a single serving of Sabra hummus. I would have to buy a school lunch. Two years ago I ate the school lunch just about every day. That coupled with the fact that I was eating pretty late at night-- not very healthful items either-- created a weight gain that I had not seen since my freshman year of college. When I started working at My Small Town High School last year, I made sure that I brought my lunch every day, usually a Lean Cuisine frozen meal. This year, however, it's hummus and carrot sticks. I know... it doesn't sound like much... but it's really good. In the afternoon when I need a snack I have Oikos chocolate or caramel underground greek yogurt, which isn't as good as a bag of m&m's, but it's a delicious, healthy snack. I've dropped twenty pounds since I was at my heaviest, and that is a really good feeling.
Mostly I like seeing only one chin when I look at recent photos.
But it seems the past couple of days I've been intent on sabotaging my weight. I got school lunch today-- baked fried chicken, rice, beans, and plaintains. When I told the lovely lunch lady that plaintains are my favorite, she piled them into the styrofoam take-out container. When I returned to my office, I ate them ALL! Truthfully, back when I faithfully consumed huge quantities of cafeteria food, the meal served today was my most beloved.
Really... I had a beloved school lunch. You can see the extent of my problem!
About an hour after lunch I was summoned into the portable next-door, where my team sang to me (my first-- and only-- Happy Birthday serenade this year) and we feasted on Elaine's amazing cake. Vanilla cake, with whipped cream topping, pineapple bits, pecans, and coconut. It was SO GOOD. So good, in fact, that I had not one but two pieces.
There's a reason gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins. I was seriously hurting. I still am. My binge is most definitely over. I didn't go to boot camp this afternoon because I didn't think I could make it past the first set of jumping jacks without ralphing. I am quite sure I'll be called out tomorrow by my colleagues who attend with me, but hey, the alternative would not have been pretty. Sometimes you have to know when to say when.
Tomorrow morning I'm running before school so that I can meet up with a dear friend after work. I'm sure by then my body will be able to stomach exercise. (Pun intended.) I am just going to have to remember this tremendous discomfort the next time I am tempted to be wicked. What tempts you, readers? And what helps you resist when temptation whispers in your ear?
Addendum: The author saw an amazing commercial yesterday just before the movie that spoke to her heart, especially in regards to the Slow Food Movement. Watch and let it speak to you too.
No comments:
Post a Comment