Friday, October 21, 2011

Single Girl in a Big City Part 1

Otherwise Known as... We're All a Little Bit Dented

After a joyful flight spent writing about the events of my day, Chris picked me up in her wife's Nissan Mom-mobile, and we were off to Westborough.  Jes was beaten to the door by their two whippets, who gleefully sniffed the visitor.  I had meet Isabella and Simon two years ago-- the last time I stayed with Chris and Jes for my annual trip to Boston in October.  They acted like they didn't remember me, sniffing me every which way.  I don't blame them.

They are dogs, after all.  Sniffing is what they do.

We settled in their comfy living room, after Chris rewarded my arduous journey with an organic soy blueberry yogurt.  Chris is vegan.  Jes is mostly vegan.  The Stonyfield soy blueberry yogurt was actually delicious.  It ceased my hunger pangs, and after spending a bit of time catching up on my romantic adventures (or misadventures, as the case may be) we retired.  Chris and I had plans to take the train into the city at 7 a.m.

Chris is working today, and I am exploring the city on my own.  I am currently taking up residence in the urbanite's ultimate morning destination-- Starbucks, of course!-- having dined on an iced pumpkin scone (with thoughts of my pal Robin, who shares my delight in all things pumpkin), and revived myself with a skinny latte, size grande.

I have thoroughly perused my Frommer's Guide to Boston, and have laid out my day.  When I leave my warm, lovely, caffeinated harbor, I will be taking two strolls laid out by the guidebook.  I have been blessed with incredibly beautiful weather.  I'm wearing my favorite navy blue and gray plaid wool skirt, black sweater, black tights, and patent leather loafers.  I am wearing my pea coat to stay on the safe side-- I am from Florida, after all-- but there's no need for gloves or a scarf.  Perfect walking weather, while wearing the most most adorable, comfortable outfit that can take me anywhere.

The fall foliage is spectacular.  The air is just a bit crisp without being uncomfortable, and there's not a single cloud in the sky.  I have plans this afternoon to dine at Brasserie Jo, my favorite Bostonian French restaurant, although if my walk doesn't lend itself to lunch in that area, I am open to changing my plans.  I have a day in the Big City all to myself, so I can do whatever I want.

Within reason.

I won't be robbing any banks.

Promise.

It is the tiniest bit tempting, though.  

This morning as we got ready to board the train I heard a sickening thud behind me, and suddenly my backpack felt... empty.  I whirled around, horrified.  My laptop had fallen out of my backpack.  So far, there doesn't seem to be any obvious malfunctions due to the catastrophe.  There is a nasty dent in the upper left corner of the computer.  The screen is miraculously unscathed. Time will tell if the computer truly is unharmed outside of the cosmetic damage.  As we rode into the city, I turned on the laptop to give it a once over.  Chris looked at me and stated the following truth:  Jen, we're all a little bit dented. 

So true.  I will be sure for the rest of the day, to be a lot more careful.  I am on my own, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment