Friday, October 28, 2011

Less than a Downpour, More Than a Sprinkle...

Otherwise known as Running in the Rain...

Today has been a particularly overcast day in My Small Town.  It has been raining off and on... mostly on... but not much more than a sprinkling of wonderful, welcome precipitation.  As I drove home from work this afternoon, I used my wipers intermittently.  I knew I had a two-mile run scheduled for this afternoon, and was merely the tiniest bit apprehensive about the weather.

I have run in the rain before.

It's been a while.

I returned home, changed into my yoga pants and upper-body workout attire, and before I could talk myself out of the endeavor, I set off for the My Small Town Lakefront.  There was a crucial element, though, to today's gear.  I put my hair in a ponytail as usual, but this time... I donned a baseball cap.  I'm not the cool, breezy kind of girl who wears a cap any old time. 

I sometimes wish I were.

I'm more of a girly girl.  Always have been, always will be.  And I don't like to get wet.

Unless I'm in a pool.  Or a shower.  Or a hot tub.  (You get the idea.)  Am I really all that unusual?  Don't most people prefer to stay in a state of dryness when fully-clothed?

When I arrived at the lakefront, I parked, put on my way cool cat glasses, inserted my iPod ear buds, and began to run.  Okay... I walked briskly for about a minute to warm up... and then increased my pace.  My clothes got just a bit flecked, but I didn't mind.  The aforementioned baseball cap kept my head dry, and my biggest concern, honestly, was the naked electronic device in my hand.  (Which, in the end, was unscathed by its foray into weather better suited for ducks.)  The two miles flew by and my workout was over before I knew it.  Many cars passed me on the road next to the trail, and I'm sure the drivers thought that I was nuts but I didn't mind.  I like having a plan to follow... and today's agenda stated a two-mile run was in order.  And so... I ran.

It was more than a sprinkle, but less than a downpour, and that was alright with me.  Tomorrow morning I have a five mile jaunt scheduled for the half-marathon training.  I hope the weather gods decide to stop expelling their wet specks of benevolence upon the mere mortals on earth sometime before 7:30 a.m. 

I don't think I am asking for too much, am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment