Monday, August 29, 2011

The Sound of Music

Otherwise known as A Few of My Favorite Songs... Right Now

Have you ever been in the car, having a perfect normal drive home, or to work, or wherever your destination may have been, and a certain song comes on the radio, and suddenly your journey is transformed?!  You're dancing with your bad self, groovin' away, clapping your hands, and singing your little heart out!  You don't care if you ever get where you're going!  You're just so into the music!  I love that feeling! 

As I have previously mentioned, getting satellite radio for Christmas has given me a musical education of sorts.  I am no longer prisoner to Rhianna's latest and greatest (although dance music certainly has it's place!) or Michael Buble... being Buble.  The coolest feature by far-- besides now having hundreds of commercial-free stations at my fingertips--  is Tune Select, which enables me to tell the radio which artists or songs I'd like to hear again, and then it beeps every time one of them comes on so that I can change the channel and listen!  I love it!  (I know... I have just proven-- again-- that I am a geek in the worst way.)  The best part is, it gives me one of these transformative car-listening experiences, almost every time I am in my car for more than fifteen minutes! 

These are a few songs and artists that I have programmed into my coolest of radios, which evoke a wide variety of feelings.  Feel free to click on the links to listen to the music at your leisure.  And thank-you for indulging me this evening.  Spending all day at the keyboard trying to even out the number of students in classes has left my writing a bit tapped out.... but I'll let you be the judge of that.

1.  Johnny Lang-- Red Light.  Yes, I know this song is at least eight years old, but in my defense, I was out of the country in 2003.  The first time I heard this song was this past March, as I was driving up to Atlanta for my grandmother's funeral.  It was, naturally, a contemplative time, and this song wholly appropriate.  Two days later, as my parents, sister, and I were driving to the cemetery from the funeral service, our family had several police escorts, racing from one light to the next.  I kept singing the chorus of this song over and over.  We really did run the red lights-- and of course it was permitted.  I often reflect on the lyrics.  Our lives move so fast, you know?  Sometimes it's good just to stop and think... at a red light.

2.  Mumford & Sons-- Roll Away Your Stone.  Well... first of all... I am completely and totally enthralled with the entire Sigh No More album.  Mumford & Sons combines old style instruments with modern instrumentation, and the result is fantastic.  At least it is to me.  It's music that reaches in and grabs my soul with both hands.  But this particular song... wow.  It speaks to my journey in finding the right person to share my life with, and how difficult it is.  Roll away your stone and I'll roll away mine... Well, you know, that's it in a nutshell.  Most of us thirty-something singles (and beyond) are pretty well-armored.  My favorite part, though, is when Marcus Mumford pauses, and there's the beat, beat, beat, building.. building... and then...  STARS, hide your fires, these are my desires... Great, great, GREAT song.  And I'm so completely jealous of the folks in the audience in the music video.  I'm sure the band toured the heck out of this album, but I came late to the party... so I must patiently await the next live opportunity.  Have passport, will travel.  Just sayin'. 

3.  Ray LaMontagne and the Pariah Dogs-- Repo Man.  This song is just pure fun.  Bluesy, folksy, fun.  I love his voice and this song just makes me smile and my body, jive.  Except I don't really know how to jive.  Hey... I ain't your repo man... or woman! 

4.  Florence + the Machine-- Dog Days are Over.  This song was played over and over in the Eat Pray Love trailers last year, and every time I'm in my car and it comes on... the world stops.  I confess:  I become a completely unsafe driver and magically find my hands gleefully clapping along.  Run fast for your mother, run fast for your father... It makes me think of of how hard this past year was for my family health-wise, and now we're rounding out the homestretch.  The dog days are nearly over.  We can't wait.  But in the meantime, we've got one heck of an awesome soundtrack. (What the Water Gave Me is new from Florence+the Machine.  It's heavier, but very cool nonetheless.)

5.  Brett Dennen-- Sydney.  This song... just makes me happy.  The thought that someone would cross the world to help another person in need... and it's just such a positive song, and whenever I have the cd playing on my computer at work, this song is over much too quickly. 
You know that I was never that cool
But I won't be taken for a fool
If they wanna talk trash
They can talk, talk, talk
But they better come *correct*
And if you ever need me, call me
I'll come runnin' straight to you....
There are other songs, but you know, baby steps.  I hope you've enjoyed the sounds of.. this music.  If you have songs you'd like to share with me, by all means, use the comment space, or drop me a line on FB!


Addendum:  The author thinks the reader would tremendously enjoy Her First Mistake as well... but was only able to find a live version, which is very, very funny... but the sound quality a bit lacking.  The actual song comes about three minutes into the clip.  Hearing this song helps the author to understand exactly how Julia Roberts could have married this man who may be a bit short on the dreamy side... but certainly long on charm and charisma.  Whenever the author hears this song in her car, she always find herself singing, Wooooowooo, come ON babbbyyyy!  The author is looking to make her first mistake. 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/30/2011

    One of my favorites is Joshua Radin Closer. It's one of those songs to listen to when you just need a cry. It makes me think of being in love with someone but you just know that it wasn't meant to be. Not quite the happy songs that you've posted but it's nice none the less. I hope you enjoy it. Just copy and paste. http://youtu.be/2wcZJWCK1Kc
    ~Erica~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this, Erica. I had never heard of Joshua Radin, but the song was very sweet. Sometimes it's just not meant to be, but that doesn't make the love-- or the heartache-- any less, you know?

    ReplyDelete