Saturday, August 27, 2011

My Little Lovely One

On New Year's Eve, it will be three years since I adopted Aiko-chan, my spoiled, vocal, calico cat who is mostly black with an adorable orange stripe running down her face.  I had been wanting a sibling for Cleo (the sweetest cat ever who passed away last November) and it seemed like the right time to bring a new pet into my home.  I would have another week before returning to work and would be able to keep an eye on the situation as the cats acclimated to each other.

When I walked into My County Animal Control, the clerk looked at me.  Can I help you?  

Well... I'm not sure what to do... I'm interested in adopting a kitten.  

She had me sign in and follow the paws to the back, where the animals were kept in their cages.  I walked into the kitten room, with clear intentions.  I wanted a male kitten because I didn't think Cleo would take too kindly to another female.

My darling Cleo was the cat who stood on my entry hall table and smacked an English Bulldog across the face when I was contemplating bringing said English Bulldog into our family.  (My neighbors were looking for a home for the dog, whose owner had died.)  The dog didn't respond well to the violent greeting.  Suddenly his nails were scratching into my hundred year-old wood floor as he attempted to be free of the leash that was holding him back, and Cleo's talons were plowing into my neck as she sought shelter from her protective mother.

I told my neighbor it wasn't going to work out.  Just like that?  You're not even going to try?

Ahhhh.... No.  She was here first.  She's the queen. 

This time around, I wasn't looking to adopt a big "scary" dog, just a little kitten to provide companionship and maybe a bit of fun when I was away from home.  There was a family already looking at one of the male kittens, and another one was asleep.  Then I came to a cage that housed this tiny, adorable female kitten.  I didn't want a female, but I thought, What would be the harm in taking a look?  She walked up to the door of the cage, and I put my finger through the metal grid.  She immediately started rubbing her head on my index finger, her little motor of a purr filling the room.  That was it.  I looked around the room and told the potential parents that she was mine, and I was leaving to find one of the workers to make it so.  I didn't want to have to fight anybody off. 

The next day, after she had been spayed and tattooed, I was allowed to take her home.  The rest is history.  After we moved in with my parents last year and Dad was diagnosed with cancer, Aiko-chan became the best form of therapy for Dad.  When he walked out on his back porch each morning to survey the action on the golf course pond and drink his morning coffee, he would pull up a chair next to him, pat it, and Aiko would jump up, let him pet her, while he talked to her.  Aiko-chan is not a lap cat in the least, but she is an attention fiend, and demands affection.  She is the only cat I have ever met who will roll over so that one can scratch her belly.

She loved being on the back porch, to prowl among the plants and attack innocent lizards.  She would meow early in the morning to be let out onto the porch.  Dad suggested that I get up, let her out, and then go back to bed.  I often did this.  Sadly, Aiko doesn't know the difference between weekend and weekday.  I guess she can't help it.  She is... only a cat. 

It took me a few weeks to bring her over to our new digs, which I moved into in early July, for the following reasons: 

#1.  Dad loves having her around, and as I said, she provided much levity and allowed a reprieve from him ruminating on what the cancer treatment would bring.  (Side note-- he is cancer-free, but has a couple more months left of chemotherapy that is meant to be preventative.)  I knew that taking Aiko-chan away would leave a space in their home. 

#2.  Aiko doesn't have the best manners when it comes to clawing furniture.  Chuck (my platonic roommate) and I discussed declawing, and I even made an appointment with my vet, but I just didn't feel good about it, and cancelled.

#3.  Chuck said he didn't have a problem with her living here... but I wanted him to get used to having me in his space before foisting my cat upon him as well. 

So, two weeks ago, I drove over to Mom and Dad's, grabbed the cat carrier, and took Aiko-chan... home.  I stopped at Pet Supermarket along the way to pick up one of those cardboard scratching boards with catnip inside.  We had used this with success at my parents'.  I placed the scratching board right next to the side table in the living room, and she uses it regularly.  When I brought her here, she didn't come out of my room for two days.  Now, though, she is quite comfortable.  I told Chuck that I don't want her to start going out on the back porch... I have no desire to have to get up early and open the sliding glass door on the weekend, plus I think the pool being out there makes the space less attractive to her.

Chuck is very funny with Aiko-chan.  He talks to her the way my father does, and she rolls over so he can scratch her belly.  When he stands up, however, she springs away.  She is intimidated by his 6'5" frame.  She's not using to spending time around such giants... but I think she'll get there.

After a blissful summer of not being woken up by my lovable cat, we have returned to her summoning me much too early on the weekend mornings.  Aiko-chan just can't comprehend why I don't rise at the same time every day.  I throw the covers over my head, and eventually she gives up and walks away to another part of the house, giving me a reprieve for just a little bit.  She always comes back.  She is persistent, like her owner.  When I'm ready, or simply tired of fending off her purring little self, I actually do get up.  Aiko-chan means little lovely one in Japanese.  And she really, truly is.... My Little Lovely... One.

No comments:

Post a Comment