I returned to work yesterday after a perfect summer blend of gallivanting, caring for my mother, and enjoying my new, fabulous living space. Next summer I hope to have the perfect summer blend of Europe, Canada, and ROADTRIP, but this summer, being at home was just what the financial advisor ordered. Yesterday I eased myself into the role of the good counselor, by going in at 8:30 and leaving at 2. I cleaned up my email, finished setting up my workspace, saw a couple of students and caught up with a few colleagues. It was won... der... ful. As chronicled in yesterday's post, Sun... Burned, I had an appointment at the dermatologist's office to get my wound redressed, and learn how to redress it each morning myself.
It's the first time I've ever had stitches. Can't say I'm liking it... but you know, a necessary evil. They come out in eight days. (Not that I'm counting!)
This morning the harsh reality of my alarm at five in the morning interrupted a very deep, most excellent sleep, largely still induced by the Advil PM I took last night to help me deal with the pain from my wound. (The doctor gave me a prescription for Vicadin that went unfilled... I don't know... just a little too extreme for me.) I spent the first couple of hours yawning through work-- someone told me I needed some coffee and I agreed, but once I got in the groove everything was fine. It's just a long ten hours sitting in front of the computer. Once school starts, those 10 hours are punctuated by visits from students, teachers, and parents, but right now, when we are gearing up for the school year, it's just me and my desktop, checking each student's schedule, making sure they all have English, Math, Science, and Social Studies. Tonight I took home each of my seniors' Academic Histories, in order to make sure they had already taken HOPE, the PE/Health requirement in the state of Florida, and earned a credit that satisfies their fine arts requirement. It only took about 25 minutes to run through the documents, and I know exactly what I'm doing when I go to work tomorrow. I am in my element when I am working. I know who I am and what I do.
When I got home this evening I made one of my specialties, chicken and artichoke stew (you might call it a fricassee). I was craving comfort food. I was also craving good leftovers for lunch over the next few days. My roommate Chuck came home just as the stew was finishing up. We had a nice dinner together, and while we were cleaning up I told him that the title for my post tonight was going be What a Girl Wants. Chuck disclosed, You know Jen... I used to have this list of things that I wanted in a woman, but now... I just want someone who is a good person.
I can relate. On my match.com profile, I have sort of a list of things that I am hoping to find in the right man, but I close with, I'm just a nice, normal, friendly girl, looking for a nice, normal, friendly guy with a positive outlook on life. I unhid my profile a couple of days ago, and while I have been receiving a few "winks" and emails, nothing has compelled me to respond. I'm still kind of tender from my last attempt at making a connection. And to be truthful, stupidly hoping he'll make some kind of grand romantic gesture. I am a sucker for romance. (And guys in glasses.)
Chuck told me tonight that a lot of guys don't want to date a girl that's smarter than them. I don't consider myself all that smart... I needed a Master's to be a school counselor and was lucky to save enough money while working overseas so that I could go back to school full-time and then return to the workforce. I don't have a problem dating a man that is smarter than me... I just don't like to have it lorded over me. I like to be challenged, and I enjoy conversation about events of the day, and I love to learn new things. And a great vocabulary is sexy. ( I realize this belief puts me in the geek category.)
People in their thirties who are single have been through the ringer a time or two. This can make them jaded. I am doing my best to continue to be open to someone new, despite the peril it creates for my heart. Next time around, I'm going to work on playing it cool. Maybe then, I'll finally get what a girl wants.
In the meantime, I'll just keep working. And writing. And hoping. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment