Wednesday, August 31, 2011

About last night... :-)

Otherwise known as... My Very First Salsa Lesson... Almost.

Last night I met Linette at 3 Sisters Speakeasy in the bigger town next to My Small Town.  Our plan was to have a bite and a drink before going to a salsa dance studio for our first salsa lesson.  I had purchased a Groupon back in the beginning of June-- $40 for 10 lessons.  A steal, right?  I thought so... until I couldn't get myself through the door all summer. 

I was terrified. 

It's like doing anything new... you have to do it at least once before you can get in your comfort zone and go on your own.  The gym, church, a new aerobics class... they all fall into this category.  Salsa class was that for me.  What would I wear?  Would I know anybody?  And most importantly, could my two left feet follow along without my getting so frustrated that I would dissolve into tears?  (Everybody thinks I'm so strong and impulsive, but really... I'm a big ol' scaredy cat.  Now y'all know the truth.) 

A couple of weeks ago I told Linette about the Groupon and she said she'd love to go!  (Linette is so good for that!)  My doctor made me wait longer than I wanted in order for the wound from my skin cancer surgery to heal a bit more before tackling exercise of any kind.  Over the weekend I talked with a friend who has been taking salsa classes from the same studio and he encouraged me to go... They're very easy... if all you want to do is the basic step for the whole hour, they'll let you do that! 

It sounded to good to be true.  But it wasn't!  After we had a bite and a beer, we made our way to the dance studio.  I checked in with my Groupon and Linette paid for her session, then we waited a few minutes for class to start.  This very nice lesbian couple sat down near us and the outgoing half of the couple asked us how we were feeling. 

Terrified.

Outgoing gestured toward her partner, Shy but a Bit Butchy, She's terrified too, but we want to learn how to get better, and we want to teach our kids!  They were really nice.  When class started, the instructor led us in a warm up, and I was surprised that except for the turns, I could follow along pretty well.  Then we were divided into Beginner 1 and 2.  The true beginners were led to the other side of the studio with a male instructor.  I'll call him "Johnny".   Johnny had the women line up in front of the mirrored wall, and the men line up behind us.  He gave us instruction on Basic Step; then taught us how to do a turn.  Next was the part I was most afraid of... he had the men and women line up facing each other.  As he reviewed the steps, I watched as Linette moved her feet in repetition.  Johnny asked Linette if she would help him demonstrate, and she did a beautiful turn.  We were all impressed. 

Johnny asked us to partner up with the gentleman across from us, he counted the steps, and we were dancing!  It was great!  There was no frustration, or embarrassment, just pure fun!  Everyone was there for the same reason:  None of us really knew how to salsa.... yet we were doing it! 

Next Johnny taught us how to do a cross-body turn, and this time he used me as the example!  Holy cow!  Really?!  And I was alright!  I just kept telling myself to relax and have fun.  I couldn't attempt a conversation and dance at the same time, but every time we changed partners we would manage ten seconds of chitchat before it was time to practice the steps.  Remon had been my first dance partner, so every time I got back to him we would laugh and say it had been so long since we were last together!  The most shocking part of the evening was that men outnumbered women!  That's just plain crazy!  Whatever happened to the stereotype of so many women in a dance class that women had to practice with each other?  I was pleased to have been wrong, but I'm still kind of in awe of the whole experience.  I laughed and just let myself enjoy the feeling of my body moving with the music, following the steps, dancing. 

After it was over, our new lesbian friends asked us if we would be at Three Sisters again next week, and if so they'd look for us.  Of course!  How cool is that?  One lesson and we've already added to our dinner party. 

When I got home, I texted my friend to tell him that had actually gone to class, and it was SO MUCH fun!  He called me.  We talked for an hour.  I'm learning some new steps, and I feel fine.


Addendum:  The author actually took about four salsa lessons in Kennesaw, Georgia just over 10 years ago taught by a husband and wife.  They taught too quickly and did a lot of damage to her poor dual left-footed ego.  Last night was just the first lesson, but she can tell she's on her way to adding a new skill to her resume.  She's learning to dance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment