Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Full Tank is a Happy Tank

Otherwise known as Two Toned... and Crooked.

This evening I met two old friends from that I reconnected with at  The Twentieth Reunion that Wasn't-- Linette, whom I've written about in previous posts, and "Kelly", whom I've not written about and prefers anonymity when it comes to the internet.  We were supposed to meet at Vintage Vino in the Bigger Town next to My Small Town, but ended up at Three Sisters again, because of a large party of C.O.W.S. (I'm not kidding... only in my county) that had overrun our cute little wine place that I have yet to experience.  Alas, we were destined for more yummy sweet potato fries, and the martinis pictured above.

In my whole life I've never been one to drink mixed drinks as a regular occurrence.  Last October, when I went to Marblehead, Massachusetts, I had a girly drink that I let the bartender make up for me while we were waiting for our table on my birthday... and on the cruise I took last summer on the very last night I ordered a fancy drink as an aperitif.  Even though I generally drink beer and wine when I drink alcohol, it does make an event feel kind of elevated, when you order something served in a certain kind of glass.  Tonight, Kelly was the catalyst, having ordered first, but each of us chose a type of martini from the menu.  It felt very Sex and the City-ish.  Except that we were in Our County, which is pretty much the antithesis of cool, modern, New York.  (Run out of an establishment by C.O.W.S., no less!  Hrrrmmmppphh.)

We talked about movies, particularly documentaries-- Linette had recently watched a particularly disturbing film about the KKK during the Civil Rights Movement in the 60s.  I told Linette and Kelly about a movie that I saw in the beginning of the summer at the Enzian called Incendies.   It was off topic-- not a documentary-- but a movie that stayed with me for days, maybe even weeks, after I saw it.  Concurrently devastating and brilliant.  If you don't mind watching movies with subtitles, and you enjoy good film, I highly recommend Incendies... but I digress.  

I seem to do that a lot. 

I told the girls about my latest Match pairing, whom I went out with on Saturday.  We're seeing each other again on Sunday, and have had two good phone conversations in the meantime.  This evening he told me he's cautiously optimistic.  I would agree with that sentiment.  The girls like him and they haven't even met him.  I guess that's a good sign too.  That's all I'll say about this... cautious optimism... for now.  It's a given that men will be discussed over drinks.  Actually, it's more than a given... I think it may be law. 

Linette invited us to train for a .6 mile swim across a lake at a doctor's house in Orlando.  Apparently he does this swim every Saturday, and issues an open invitation to anyone who would like to join him.  Since I happen to be a strong swimmer who hasn't gotten back into the pool a single time since my skin cancer surgery a month ago, I think this would be just the motivator I need to get back in and start training again.  I plan to get into the pool tomorrow.  And the next day... and probably the day after that as well.  If I put it here, on the blog, in print, then I have to do it, right?  We plan to do the big swim on October 1st, one month from today. 

I am all about accountability.  And public shame in not following through with a plan.

I had to stop to get petrol on my way back to My Small Town this evening.  My light was on.  It cost me over $40, but hey... a full tank is a happy tank.  

And if you are wondering, the crooked glass with the two-toned martini was mine.  And it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment