Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Just Can't Wait...

I booked a flight today.  October in Boston... I did this for a few reasons:

1.  I had had a FABULOUS trip to Boston in July 2008 with Surfer Boy, who actually turned me on to hunting for beach glass in the few months that we had been together before we took our trip to Beantown.  We stayed at a cute B & B on the North Shore, explored Boston, hunted for sea glass, and devoured delectable seafood.  We were very successful in the seaglass hunting department, but I'll never reveal our source.  Actually, it was one of the best mini-trips I've ever had. We also met up with reasons number two:

2.  I have two, great girlfriends who happen to be married-- to each other-- who live just outside of Boston.  They have a son, Ely.  Jes is a pediatric oncology nurse, Chris is an attorney... We went to college together at FSU...  and she found me on the internet while I was living in Japan.  We kept in touch sporadically after that, until they came to the Biggish City near my Small Town a few years ago.  We renewed our friendship over tapas at Cafe Tu Tu Tango, and the rest, as they say, is history.  Two years ago, I visited Chris and Jes for my birthday.  I flew in the night before, and woke up to snow-- SNOW!-- on my birthday.  Chris and I were taking a train into the city.  I was to explore while she worked... we opened the door to their townhouse, and snow was swirling all around.  I was mesmerized by the weather.  I hadn't seen snow since I left Canada in 2004.  Chris's response?  Oh for God's sake!

That's Chris. 

We kept with our plan despite the crazy weather.  A few minutes after we got on the train, the conductor came around.  As I paid for my ticket I told him I was from Florida.  And it's snowing!  On my birthday! 

Chris drolled, You need to stop being so happy.  You're in Boston now.  Everyone's gonna know you're a tourist.  We split up once we got to the city.  She went to the courthouse and did her lawyer thing; I Starbucked, went to the Museum of Fine Art (and was serenaded by a group of Japanese tourists whom I had struck up a Japanese conversation with!), and lunched on mussels mariniere at a swanky Boston bistro before meeting back up with Chris at Crate and Barrel, and then continuing on to a Spanish tapas restaurant in Cambridge.  Every time I see Chris and Jes, we have tapas... it's our quirky little friendship constant.

The next day Chris and I we went to a real, live, pumpkin patch, where I took a family portrait of Chris, Jes, and Ely, and partook of apple cider and apple doughnuts.  The trees were in full-on autumn glory, and the air was lovely and crisp.  Then Jes and Ely went to a 1 year-old's birthday party, and Chris and I were off to the North Shore for my beach glass fix.  She was a natural, and found the biggest piece of blue I've ever seen.  I keep it in my car now, a memento of that wonderful day when everything came together perfectly.

Sunday morning we woke up, stayed in our jammies, and played board games until it was time for me to shower and leave for the airport.  It was a perfect weekend.  A couple of weeks ago when Linette asked me if I was single and qualified the question with... I'm not gay... I'm just looking for someone fun to hang out with!

I told her, Hey, hanging out with lesbians is like hanging out with guy friends.  It's no big deal.

I don't think of Chris and Jes as my favorite lesbians (although they are)... they're my favorite friends who live close to Boston, that I love to visit every year.  A great couple whose qualities complement each other, who raise their beautiful son Ely, a kid who says the darndest things. 

3.  Last year when Joe asked me if I wanted a Coach Bag for my birthday, I told him... I'd rather go away for a weekend in Boston. 

Really?  I thought all girls wanted a Coach Bag... they're expensive!  

My love language is quality time.  I'd much rather go away with you, Joe.  And Boston is one of my favorite cities.  We can fly nonstop on JetBlue, and there's this beach that has the most incredible sea glass!

Joe and I visited the same quaint town that Surfer Boy and I had been to in 2008.  No, we did not stay in the same B & B, but the beach with the unbelievable amount of sea glass was our first stop after lunch when we got off the plane.  Blue, lavender, green, brown, clear.  A bunch of chinaware too.  I love hunting for beach glass.  It was Joe's first time, and he enjoyed it too.  The only downside was that it was so cold that my hands turned numb.  Since we had just had lunch, nature began to call, and we found a public house with washrooms.  I walked inside, and tried to unzip.

I couldn't.  My hands were too bloomin' cold.


I clapped them together.  I rubbed them.  I blew my hot breath on them.  No matter what I did, I couldn't get my fingers to cooperate.  That's when I knew I had to swallow my pride, and do what no woman would ever want a man to do.

Joe?

Yeah, Jen.  Everything okay?  

Ummmm... no... I can't get my hands to unzip!  I stood in the doorway, sheepish.  Embarrassed doesn't even begin to describe how I felt, not to mention the worry I felt at someone coming upon us in this awkward position.

No problem, Jen.  I'm here for you.  Joe was always there for me.  He helped me unzip and I took care of business.  Magically, my hands cooperated to get myself dressed again.  It's funny how they worked that way.

We had a great trip that weekend as well.  We went to Salem and observed broods of witches in their hats, capes, and pointy shoes.  We met up with Chris and Jes for brunch one morning, explored the North Shore while listening to satellite radio, and Joe showed me some of his haunts during the time he had spent in Boston after college.  We flew back home and I went back to work, with the knowledge that next year, I'd be back.  That was the day that my dad called me, voice cracking, telling me that he was in the hospital with a malignant tumor.  He had known all weekend, and didn't call me while I was on my trip.  He wanted me to have a good time.  My parents are like that. 

Everything changed.  Fortunately, though, we're on the other side... and life is very, very good.
***


So... I'm going back next month to stay with Chris and Jes.  We'll eat seafood, hunt for sea glass, and enjoy the crisp New England fall.  It's my marvelous birthday present to myself.  No doubt I'll have stories to tell.  I just can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment