I woke up today with a sweet tooth. And a stomach still not quite over my incredibly delicious curry experience at my neighbor's house. After drinking my new normal of copious cups of Sunday morning coffee, I fixed myself a little piece toast with some honey and the smallest bit of peanut butter-- but I was really, truly craving Nutella, the marvelous chocolatey hazelnut spread made by the same folks who make Ferrero Rocher.
I won't let myself keep Nutella in the house. Nutella is dangerous. When I lived in Canada I had at least one piece of toast spread with Nutellla each morning. Inevitably, Pierre would get up and see me working at the computer with my mug of green tea on the desk. Jen, you've got chocolate... That's all he would have to say, just those four little words, and I would sprint up and check out my face in the bathroom mirror.
I cannot eat Nutella without getting at least a little bit of tell-tale chocolate on my face. I wish I were making this up... but it's true. I know I could have done a preemptive maneuver and checked out my face before Pierre told me you've got chocolate, but that would be too easy, and make too much sense.
And I actually kind of liked him telling me. It was our little morning routine.
Anyway, I around 11:30 I called my friend Jessica, an extension agent who is working full-time and taking classes to earn her master's degree. She no longer has any time of her own now that classes are back in session, which means that I no longer have any time with Jessica either. I hate this, but we both have to keep our eyes on the prize.
Hello?
I didn't even bother identifying myself. I think you will be needing an ice cream break at 1:30 this afternoon. Jessica is very weak when it comes to ice cream. I know how to exploit her weaknesses to work to my utmost advantage.
I can't take any time for ice cream today, Jen! I'm so behind! If I have any breaks or interruptions of any kind I'll never get anything done.
Foiled! So, we talked for just about two minutes and I let her get back to her grad school misery.
I hated that... but she was right and I had to respect her diligence.
Not long after our conversation I finally got out of my yoga pants and comfy black Gap Body hoodie, showered, and went over to my parents house for some quality time. Ever since life amped up with the start of the school year and my increased adventures with Linette, I hadn't taken much time to go to their home and just be. So I hung out in their living room,blissfully sprawled out on the couch. We watched a mini-marathon of Chopped episodes on the Food Network, and talked about what was new, what was good, what was frustrating, and all the stuff we used to talk about without even thinking about it when I lived at home.
It was really nice to spend quality down time with my wonderful parents. Even if all we did was sit around and watch television. We also consumed the rest of the hummus that I had left at their house yesterday after using Mom's food processor. It was still... soooooo good.
When I left their place I hit Publix and stocked up on all the weekly necessities:
- Apples. I slice one up each morning to snack on every day around 10 a.m. An apple a day really does keep the doctor away.
- Hummus. Inferior but convenient, a single-serving container combined with baby carrots has become my lunch of choice.
- Oikos Greek yogurt. I have vanilla each morning for breakfast with frozen berries and chocolate after lunch when I start wanting to make a Circle K run for m&ms. The chocolate yogurt satisfies my sweet tooth and keeps me healthy all in one! (Although tonight I had to settle for caramel. Shopping on Sunday evening isn't advisable for the particular shopper.)
- Publix organic spinach and feta frozen pizzas. So easy, so light, and I love them. I've even turned my coworkers onto the these delectable delights! The only thing wrong with them is that they prevent me from wanting to cook real food. I have to admit, however, even though I LOVE to cook... I have been enjoying my hiatus. I will get back to real food. Eventually. I would encourage you to try them, but I don't know if I want what has happened to me to happen to you. Like Nutella, these pizzas are dangerous.
- Pumpkin Ale. It's nearly October. Do I really have to explain?
Not long after I got home and satisfied my sweet tooth, my friend Mac called, who will be flying down Friday night for a visit and a run in the Wine and Dine Half Marathon at Disney. We're both looking forward to the weekend. I just love airport pickups. To me, it is so fun driving to the airport, knowing that my visitor and I will have the most fun weekend! (Or however long my out-of-town friend will be staying...) One of my colleagues truly believes that planning and anticipating a vacation is better than the vacation itself. I don't know if the pickup is better than the visit, but I do love that sense of anticipation as I drive out to the airport.
This evening I've been playing around with the blog, making a few minor changes to the page. I have uncharacteristically not turned on the television or clicked on Pandora for music. (Although I must say that I do love having my very own Mumford and Sons channel on Pandora! It's the best!)
Tonight I am... enjoying the silence.
No comments:
Post a Comment