Friday, September 16, 2011

Shoe Shopping Can Be... Dangerous

Otherwise known as Shoe Shopping for the Saturday Night Salsa Social...

I had plans this evening to meet one of my girlfriends at a classy Mexican joint for happy hour in the Slightly Bigger Town next to My Small Town.  After work I drove home, showered, and blew my hair out... miraculously it did this cute little flippy up thing at the bottom.  I swear my hair has a mind of its own.  I cannot control its cuteness... or frizziness... as the case may be.  Tonight was fortunately a good hair night.  After doing my hair I carefully applied foundation, powder, blush, eye shadow, clear mascara, and of course lipstick.  (Hey... every little bit helps.  Don't judge.  We can't all wake up looking like Heidi Klum.  I don't even think Heidi Klum wakes up looking like Heidi Klum!))

I jumped in the car at 5:00, and made it to the large outdoor mall in the Slightly Bigger Town next to My Small Town in 23 minutes.  Twenty-three minutes!!!  The traffic gods were definitely with me.  It should have taken at least 35.  And I assure you, I wasn't speeding.  Perhaps I was in a space-time continuum that favored a single girl on her way to meet another single girl, where they would laugh and commiserate about said single stature. 

My friend arrived a few minutes after me.  We feasted on nachos... and enjoyed cerveza grande.  We talked for so long we ordered uno mas, por favor.  It was really fun to catch up and talk about boys, beautification (in the form of facials-- and massage!) and the blog.  Of course there was shop talk.

Whenever two people in the same profession get together there will always be shop talk.  It can't be helped.  It is written. 

After our meal, my friend went home and I, not quite ready to go home and wanting to take advantage of being in the Slightly Bigger Town,  drove over to a shoe store.  I never used to get people who were so into shoe shopping.  I would buy my sandals at Bass Outlet and my conservative one inch heels, the same shoe in brown and black, and I would be done for the year.  That was back in my frumpy days, as my friend John would say.  And then deny that he said it.

Now, I so totally get those shoe shopping people.   And my wallet misses the days when I didn't.

Tonight I bought a strappy pair of gold heels for the social tomorrow night, along with a pair of silver sliders to wear when I go out and want to wear another color on my feet besides black.  Rather than ruby slippers, they are my silver slippers, and they most definitely scream out, Cute sexy feet ready for anything!   Well... nearly anything.

Post-happy hour shoe shopping can be dangerous, but I kept my wits about me.  I had a coupon for $10 off, and bought two pairs of cute shoes for less than $60.  I think keeping my wits about me is one of my positive traits.  At least that's what I tell myself.

Tomorrow night I'll be dancing salsa at the social in my new golden shoes.  Stay tuned...


Addendum:  The author heard You Get What You Give by New Radicals on her way to meet her friend for happy hour.  The video is a bit odd, but what an awesome Friday night song.  (Really, it's an awesome anytime song!)  The author is so glad she's got the music in her.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment