Otherwise known as... The Night I Took a Breath, and Kept On Going.
Tonight was the Junior Parent Night at My Small Town High School. I co-presented with my co-counselor, Judy, who is won-der-fullllll. Right now I get to share a portable with her while our building is being renovated, and I love it! I have learned so much invaluable information from her, and we really are good friends. (My other two co-counselors are awesome as well-- we make a great team!)
We both got to work at 7 a.m., which is our usual start time. We began giving junior class presentations today, where we go into American History classes and talk about post-secondary options and how to get there. Competition for entry into our Florida State University System schools is fierce, and it truly takes a motivated student to get there. Good grades don't just miraculously appear on report cards, students have to work to get them.
A lot of students today don't like to work. That's all I have to say about that.
So, today, I gave three junior class presentations, worked on the My Small Town High School Guidance Department website, and prepared for a couple of special sessions of classroom guidance which I am teaching tomorrow. At 4:30 we went to a local Italian place for an early dinner.
We always go to this same Italian restaurant whenever we have an evening event.
We always order the same thing... the chicken salad salad, which is two scoops of yummy chicken salad atop a bed of iceberg lettuce, sliced Roma tomatoes, garbanzo beans, and black olives. As Paula Deen would say, it's delicious, y'all.
We always attempt to resist the bread and to-die-for garlic butter at this particular Italian restaurant. Judy is usually successful... this evening, I was not, but it was my first bread of the day, so I was okay with a little soft, doughy comfort food. Judy told me about her recent excursion to the Grand Tetons with her husband for their 42nd wedding anniversary, and I told her about the latest Single excitement.
After our hunger was duly satiated, we returned to our portable, where I put some finishing touches on the website, and she went to the auditorium to prepare for our company. The information night was a great success, even if I was nervous speaking in front of so many adults. I'd much rather get up in front of kids than present to adults, even though Judy says I do a great job.
Great job or not, it's still nerve-wracking.
I am quasi-dating a guy right now with two degrees in communication, one of which is a Master's. Talk about nerve-wracking. What would he think if he witnessed my tongue-tiedness? Would it be endearing? Or a turn-off? I have a hard time with my brain working faster than my mouth, and have lately resorted to stopping, saying, Blah Blah Blah (soooooo intelligent) and then proceeding with what I had intended to say. I am working at editing the blahs out of my vernacular. They are so convenient, but sound awful. Tonight, I heard myself getting tripped up, so I stopped myself and admitted to the audience:
I'm a little nervous presenting in front of all of you. I took a breath, and kept on going.
It's what I do.
A number of parents came up to me afterward and told me that we had done a fabulous job, and appreciated us taking the time to do the presentation.
I left work tonight at 8:00. I love being a working girl, and wouldn't have it any other way.
Addendum: The author is aware that quasi-dating is a quasi-confusing term. She hopes to enlighten her dear readers in... the future.
I also LOVE the italian place you speak of.. However, I do NOT EVER resist the amazing bread.. Next time try a piece with the yummy salad dressing:)
ReplyDeleteYou know... I contemplated dipping the bread into my dressing on the side, but rather opted for just one little bite slathered in the beautiful butter. SO good!!!
ReplyDelete