Otherwise known as The Day We Thought We Would Dance the Night Away...
Today was quite possibly one of the busiest Saturdays I've had in a long time. I woke up and wrote my morning post for Single, then changed into a swimsuit and gathered the necessary accoutrements for swimming laps at My Small Town City Pool with Linette. She picked me up at noon, we got into our lanes, and decided to train by practicing the distance we will have to do at Doc Lucky's Lake Swim in two weeks. We swam 550 yards (11 laps), a chatted for a few minutes during a quick break, then swam another 550 yards, followed by a 250 yard (five lap) cool down. When we finished we jumped off the diving board. Twice.
It's so much fun, Linette!
I KNOW! It's our non-food reward for swimming laps!
I completely got what she meant. And it was true.
After swimming, I jumped right in the shower, gathered a few ingredients, and drove to my parents' home to make hummus for a party I was attending down the street from where I live. My food processor hadn't left their house when I moved out, and you can't make hummus without a food processor.
Well... okay... maybe you can, but I can't.
My dad wanted hummus as well, so I made a double batch. It was good to see my folks and catch them up on my latest connections and adventures. I have to say, the hummus was good. I used this amazing Californian extra-virgin olive oil to help bind the dip. I think it may have been the best hummus I have ever made-- and I have made a lot of hummus in my day! I put my share of the dip into a red Fiestaware bowl that I had brought with me, and took off again to get to the gathering on time.
When I got home, I threw the ingredients in their appropriate places in the fridge and pantry, and walked down the street to the party. I got there right on time, and had fun socializing with my peers. The food was amazing; my only criticism is of myself... my newly-slimmed stomach was full after just one plate, and I didn't even finish! I was upset. This was incredible, homemade, curry. Potato salad. Beans. So very delicious. That said, I didn't the force the issue. Even though I wanted more, I listened to my body. I was full. The smart thing to do was to stop feeding my face, which is what I did.
With one exception: a little homemade chocolate chip cookie. I am a sucker for sweets, especially sweets involving chocolate. It was worth it, but I was tremendously stuffed.
We took a few group photos to commemorate the event, and I left in the commotion while people were still returning to their conversation circles. I hate saying good-bye at parties, and find it less disruptive to the gathering if I kind of duck out rather than making a huge announcement. I'll see everyone on Monday anyway. I left for a few reasons:
1. I had already been there three hours, which is kind of my small-talk with colleagues limit, even though they are people I love.
2. I could feel myself getting sad. We were celebrating the retirement of a very special person, my former senior English teacher, and if everyone was going to start getting sentimental it was best I just go. I'm not quite ready to go there, but I suspect I'll be posting about it later in the week.
3. Linette and I had plans to go to a Salsa Party sponsored by Our Small Town Government. The salsa party started at 7:30. I needed to go home, shower, and go through the beauty routine again to get clean and fresh after being in the hot Florida sun for 3 hours.
4. As I stated, we had taken the pictures, and I found a non-disruptive escape.
The party was fun, but it was time to go. So I did.
I walked home, stopped and chatted at a neighbor's house along the way, and got ready to go out.
Again.
I showered, went through my beauty routine, put on my adorable purple ruffled sleeveless top and a dark denim skirt, and of course the golden heels. Linette picked me up, and we were off!
Again.
We both talked on the way to the event about how busy we had been that day. We were concerned about the darkening sky, so opted to skip hitting the ATM. Linette said she'd spot me any cash I might need, and I had my card with me in the event that they accepted cards. It was only $5 to get in to the party, anyway.
When we got to where the event was being held, we paused and had a drink in the restaurant on the first floor of the event space. I was even more nervous about this social than I had been about the one we attended last Saturday at Salsa Heat. I somewhat knew what to expect from Salsa Heat, but had no idea what was in store for us at the city-sponsored event. We took the elevator upstairs and both discussed what we might find.
Or rather, what we wouldn't find. The event was DEAD. Not even ten people in attendance. The room looked beautiful and the music, fun. But we didn't pay to go in.... opting to go to another local spot to see and be seen. We got in the car, and it started pouring. Hard.
Linette looked at me. This isn't good. No one will be out with all this rain.
We were both tired. Linette, why don't we just go home? I'm tired. You're tired. We've both been going all day, and you were up and going even before I was! Linette is training for the Tough Mudder and had run seven miles this morning before I had even gotten my lazy body out of bed.
That sounds good.
When we got to my house, we sat in the driveway for a while, hoping the rain would ease up a bit so I wouldn't get too soaked. As it was, I had already had two showers today. Linette smartly suggested that I take off my golden heels, which I did. When the rain somewhat abated, I made a run for it, bolting to the front door. Once inside, I quickly changed out of my wet clothes, dried off, threw my hair into a bun, and put on yoga pants and a hoodie.
Ahhhhhhh... much better.
Chuck is out on a date, so I have the house all to myself. I'm about to crash into my waiting bed.
It's been a good day, despite the disappointment in Small Town Salsa Party and the ensuing soaking, and it's time to call it quits. We thought we would dance the night away, but it turns out we're going to sleep the night away. Sometimes you have to know when it's best to just go home and have some downtime. Tonight was one of those nights in My Small Town.
You didn't even say good bye to me:( Or try my banana cream supreme.. This makes me sad, Single.. Very sad!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to have made you sad, my Love, but you and I both know you would have convinced me to stay... and I was trying to be stealth. Stealth behavior does not come natural to me! My stomach is sorry to have missed your banana cream supreme... One thing I know for sure is that there will be more gatherings, and more opportunities for decadent dessert-sampling. :-)
ReplyDelete