Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Attention Monger

Otherwise known as... The Dreaded Alarm Kitty.

This morning I was woken up by four little paws walking on my head.  I reached over and grabbed my phone, to check the time.  I knew it was early, but wanted to ascertain exactly how early.

4:30 in the morning bloomin' early.

Aiko-chan... you're killing me!

I did what any iPhone-addicted person would do... I checked the action on Facebook, checked the stats on Single, even examined Groupon deals.  Sad... but true.  Then I grabbed my pillow and attempted a bit more shut-eye.  It is Saturday morning, after all.

Aiko-chan had other ideas.  She doesn't have a full-on MEOW-- when she speaks, it's like a funky me-ow that's been broken up into little bits.  She was doing this in my ear.

Aiko-chan is not a lap cat.  She never wants to be on top of me, preferring to be next to me, demanding that I scratch her face, neck, behind her ears.  Then she rolls over so that I can scratch her kitty belly.  Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  I exist for her and her alone, of course.   In the early morning hours, though, when it is clear that I have no intention of acting the part of kitty slave just yet, she makes an exception to her no body contact rule by climbing on top of my chest and doing that funky kneading thing with her paws.  I roll over and think about tossing her off the bed (in an undoubtedly non-abusive fashion)... but being the softie I am, I just throw the covers over my head.  Aiko-chan keeps trying for another minute or so, but eventually gives up.  Or maybe I just fall back asleep, impervious to her little attention-mongering ways.

I've been contemplating adding to our family, so that Aiko-chan will have another ball of fur to roll around with and provide even more entertainment than she does now.  A few years ago, after breaking up with my Surfer Boy, I told him that I was thinking about getting another cat for Cleo, my sweet cat who passed last November, to have a companion.  I thought you wanted to make room in your life for another man, Jen-Jen.  No man wants a woman with two cats.

His words stung.  My friends told me the problem was Surfer Boy's, no one else's... and I did end up adopting Aiko-chan a couple of weeks later.  Still, as I ponder this decision, those words from three years ago echo in my mind.

For now, I am satisfied with one four-legged attention monger.  That said, I know I have room in my heart for two.


Addendum:  After reading my post to Chuck, he let me know that from a man's perspective Surfer Boy was right.  Hmnmmm... Readers?  Feedback wanted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment