Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Speechless...

One month later, another 1500 pageviews, and a bit more writer's block...

It's been about a month since I had trouble coming up with a topic.  Tonight is one of those nights... so I'm going to take the opportunity yet again to discuss the experience of being a blogger.  When I started writing Single Girl in a Small Town, I thought it would be so much fun to chronicle good dates, bad dates, and various tedium in my small town life and my past life as an international phenom.

Okay... phenom is an exaggeration.  You've got me there.  I am lots of things... but phenom I am not and never have been.   

Still, I've always had certain stories in my head and it's been great having an opportunity to put them down in the blogosphere and share them.  Some are definitely better crafted than others, depending on the time of day, and how much time I have to devote to the post.  The worst feeling is knowing I need to be somewhere and I'm not quite happy with the editing... and yet, I want to get the post out there...

In the past two and a half months since I started writing, the blog has largely been read by my friends on Facebook.  It's also been googled, and read, by folks in Trinidad and Tabago, and France, and my beloved Japan.   In the past two weeks there has been someone reading the blog in Germany almost every day... I often wonder who this reader is... Are they my Facebook friend?  (And if so, reveal yourself-- the mystery is killing me!)  Who on earth do I know in Germany?

But getting back to the purpose of the blog... My experience with Jerry definitely made me wary of chronicling dates.  He told me in the beginning that he wanted me to write-- he himself is a writer-- but in the end he blamed the blog for feeling like it was only a matter of time before I was writing about his own shortcomings in the demise of our relationship.  (I guess I'm proving him right...)  That stung, because I had had such high hopes for us.  But, as I've said, and I'm sure you know, relationships are all about timing.  And it was much easier to blame the blog than the lack of good timing.

So now, I've gone out on two good dates with a good guy who makes me laugh... and dances... but I'm a little bit afraid of sharing them because I don't want what happened with Jerry to happen with him.  I hate that.

How can I censor myself and write my truth at the same time? 

Any suggestions, dear readers?  I've been trying like the dickens to get this blog more interactive but very limited success so far... It's not often that I am... speechless.

2 comments:

  1. You have a rich, full and interesting life! A garden full of interesting stories. The new guy is new plant in the garden. Protect it from the elements and see if it takes root before you show him/it off to everyone! Enjoy the rest of your garden. You aren't censoring yourself - you are giving something special a chance to take hold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the garden analogy, Suzanne. Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete