One girl's experiences navigating singlehood in her hometown by any means necessary...
Saturday, September 24, 2011
Single Girl, Incognito... Kind of...
Otherwise known as, The Journey Continues...in Cat Glasses and Confidence
After our salsa lesson on Wednesday evening, Linette (my partner in crime and all things adventurous at the moment) and I decided to come back for a lesson on Friday, so that we could continue to progress. Wednesday was her first day in the Beginner 2 class, having successfully tested up before class started. There is a stark difference between Beginner 1 and Beginner 2, and she didn't want to lose what she learned. Of course, I am in love with all things salsa at the moment, and was happy to oblige her with another evening spent in class. We had plans to meet at Three Sisters Speakeasy, where we were beginning to feel like regulars, at 5:30.
Then I got an email, from my dear friend Marcy, who is quite possibly the nicest, sweetest, most positive, loving person on the planet.
I'm not kidding. When I'm in a difficult situation, or want to use stronger language than is polite, I ask myself the following question:
What would Marcy do?
I know I am not alone in my esteem for Marcy, who teaches at the last elementary school where I was a school counselor. The final year I was there, the school lost roughly half of its population at the end of the school year due to rezoning, losing half of its staff in the process. Marcy has been the glue that's held us together, organizing bimonthly gatherings of the teachers at her grade level at local restaurants. I feel fortunate to be included, and treasure the time I spend with Marcy and the rest of the wonderful women who are now my former colleagues, and remain true friends.
Sooooooo, when I got the email from Marcy inviting me to the Australian-themed restaurant in My Small Town at 5:00 on Friday, I accepted conditionally, telling her that I already had plans to meet my friend at 5:30, followed by a dance lesson, but I would drop by to see everyone on my way. Which is exactly what I did.
After work yesterday I drove home, showered, and put on the magical black ruffled skirt-- it was Friday night after all! I went through my beauty routine that has already been well-documented in this blog, including painting my neglected toes with fun, fuchsia nail polish. I slipped on my strappy, tall golden heels, and was out the door, excited to see my friends, and all the possibilities that the evening held. I love Friday nights!
Once in my car, I completed the ensemble with sunglasses to protect my eyes from the intense Florida glare. (Hey, it's not called the Sunshine State for nothing!)
These aren't just any sunglasses, they are cat glasses. My father's mother wore cat glasses... the kind that extended out just a bit at the temple, adorned with tiny rhinestones. They were fantastic-- and so very her. I have many pictures of Grandma in those cat glasses, wearing fabulous outfits in the 60s and 70s, her hair platinum blonde and poofy. I feel like I channel a bit of Grandma's style when I wear my sunglasses, and I feel closer to her spirit, and remember her spunk. They are my homage to her.
When I arrived at the restaurant, I saw my friend Erin walking with her adorable baby, just a bit ahead of me. She looked right at me, and kept walking.
Erin! I quickened my step to catch up with her.
Jen! I saw you, and thought it was you... then I didn't think it was you. You look GOOD, girl!
Thanks!
I know part of it was the glasses, part of was is that my hair is a few inches longer, part of it was the short, flirty skirt coupled with the strappy golden heels, and part of it was the slightly smaller body than the last time we were together. I feel transformed. And so appreciative of the journey, that continues... in confidence.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment