Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The World Spins Madly On...

Otherwise known as The Day I Ripped off The Weepies for a Post Title

I was on my way to work this morning when this wonderful, sweet, sad little song came on the radio.  ...and the world, spins madly on...  It tells the story of a breakup-- at least, that's my interpretation.  It could just be that they live in two different places now.  You can listen here if I've piqued your interest.

I think you should listen.

It's only two minutes of your time.

You know you want to.

What have you got to lose?

It's true, though, no matter what, the world keeps going... no matter how bad or how good you are feeling.  I was talking with a friend this afternoon about the overuse of cell phones in our society.  This is already territory well-covered in Skinny Jeans Are Not for ANYONE but I feel the need to revisit the topic this evening.

I believe it is wonderful that we now all carry these mini-computers in our pockets so that at any given moment we can find out movie times, directions to our destination, peruse the scene on Facebook, and find out the capital of Tanzania... all at once.  It's amazing.  Every time I see someone with one of those ridiculous-looking bluetooth contraptions on their ear chatting away as they do their grocery shopping, I think to myself... I truly live in the future.

But are we really living?

I watched a television show-- okay, true confession... it was The Real Housewives of New York so I guess I should know better-- and several people were at a dinner party.  Around the dinner table.  Someone's phone rang, and as she stood up and walked away from the table, she explained,

Excuse me, my phone is ringing.  I need to answer it.

At a blooming dinner party?  Are you kidding me?

Maybe that's why she did it... so that more people would watch the show and not be able to believe what bad manners she has.  I suppose I should be grateful that she didn't answer the phone while at the table.
  
Still.  

Whatever happened to decorum?  Manners?  Civility?  Social mores?

While watching reality television we are constantly bombarded with people behaving badly.  Bad language.  Rude behavior in every sense of the word rude.  And behavior.  People doing their very best to demonstrate the worst aspects of what it means to be human.   Or at least, a foolish human.  And yes, I am using restraint when I use the word foolish. 

Some people still know how to be restrained.  I don't mean to sound overly judgmental, I just kind of miss the time when people at least appeared to be civilized.  I imagine it all started with the Victorians.  By appearances, they were a very conservative people.  That all changed behind closed doors.  But folks didn't talk about the sexual activity that occurred behind closed doors.  (At least, this is what the History channel has told me.)  Nonetheless, I feel like life was simpler before the bad behavior running rampant today.  Including people answering cell phones at the dinner table.  Maybe the bad behavior always existed, we just didn't see it as much because we didn't have so many ways to display the bad behavior.  You Tube.  Facebook.  Blogs.  24 hour news cycles.  E!  Reality television. 

Sidebar-- I would really like to know how any of the women featured on Bridezillas actually found a man who would marry them and I am still single!!!  Hello, men... nice girl, available!  Guaranteed not to shout expletives at you or hang up the phone on you at any time.  Promise!

I choose to conduct myself in a fairly conservative manner.  I love cutting loose and enjoying myself with close friends... but at the end of the day you won't find naked or even semi-naked pictures of Jenchan behaving badly.

I'm sorry.

Or maybe I should say... You're welcome.  

I make a conscious effort that when I'm in the company of friends, the phone largely stays off.  Unless we are compelled to share our fun with the masses on Facebook, that is.  And the world, spins madly on...

No comments:

Post a Comment