Monday, July 4, 2011

Skinny Jeans are Not for ANYONE

My good friend Jessica, who has taught me everything I know about gardening (and whose partner Julio, is my dad's ultimate hero for many, many reasons) called me last week as I was visiting Chuck, my new housemate, to pick up my key prior to moving into the house.  I was talking to Chuck, and let the call go to voicemail, because I didn't want to be rude.

I really hate it when people drop everything when their phone rings... People, phones work for YOU!  If you are busy, don't answer!  (Unless your daughter is in labor or you are awaiting other important medical results, that is...)  This is one of my pet peeves, and is most significantly illustrated by the time I made the gross mistake of watching "The DiVinci Code" at the little two-screen movie theater in my hometown.  It's much cheaper to see a movie there, but you pay in other ways.  During this particular film, an older gentleman in my row had a phone that rang like a banjo with roosters cock-a-doodling in the background.  The first time, he just let it ring.  And ring.  And ring.  (Or should I say play?)  The second time the banjo started playing, this was his greeting, "SHUT UP." 

Only in my town.

He then let whom I can only imagine was his poor wife know that he would be home when he darn well pleased, and hung up.  You get the picture, and I have taken a major detour in the story...

When I got back to my car, I called her back (yes, I know driving and talking on the phone is another issue entirely and broke my New Year's resolution of driving with intention!) and told her I was in the area-- did she feel like a visit?  Yes!  So, I dropped by, she fed me a scrumptious dish of winter squash and chicken with latin spices (a major perk-- we feed each other without planning to), and we caught up on each other's lives.  Jess is working full-time as an extension agent, and earning her master's degree in something that has her and Julio hunting bugs at all hours of the night in a variety of local parks.  This causes a multitude of bites and other injuries in her ghostly white legs.  (Mine are equally ghostly.  We live in Florida, and we're smart.  Don't judge when you see us in shorts!)  Anyway, because of her demanding schedule, and mine when school is in session, we don't get time to see each other very often.  We made tentative plans to get together this weekend when we had some time. 

That time was today.  It was such a good day!

I picked her up at 10 a.m., after texting her at 9:30 that I would be there in 30 minutes and to be ready-- and I had a coupon for Cold Stone Creamery.  We are both ice cream fanatics.  (I keep my cravings on a short leash-- must watch my girlish figure!)  We had plans to see Beginners at 12:15 in Winter Park Village, and to have lunch before that. 

Jess HATES journeys that take longer than 15 minutes.  This makes forays anywhere beyond the borders of our small town and the immediate surrounding areas difficult to say the least.  I drove and introduced her to the wonders of satellite radio.  Jess is a major music lover, and she was hooked.  Especially when the beep went off that told us Deathcab for Cuties had a song on Spectrum.  I pushed the button, and voila!  Deathcab.  She was amazed and astounded and we discussed the cost and cool bands and such.  Jess was loving the drive.  Success! 

We opted for Crispers and then went to the theater to get our tickets for Beginners.  We both loved the movie.  It was sweet, and funny, and just... wonderful.  It even had some French phrases in it-- one of the main characters was French, and I felt smug when she demurred, C'est bon ici, and I understood.  (Three years with a Quebecois and I can understand It's good here in French... not a whole lot else.)  If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend this film. 

After the movie we tried to go to Cold Stone but, as today is a national holiday, it was closed.  I'm happy the employees had the day off and got to enjoy the 4th, but don't they know that there's nothing better on a hot Fourth of July than to get ice cream? 

We were de-nied, and drove back home, stopping by my folks' place to pick up a couple of cactus dish gardens that Jess had left in my care for the past 5 years, and by my new digs to show it off.  (I love it here, and am aware of how truly blessed I am.)  On our way to the house the following conversation took place, which in my book, is classic Jen and Jess.  To set the scene, a youngish woman was crossing the street, wearing skinny jeans.  She wasn't overly plump or overly thin, but the skinny jeans... arrrrggghhhh.

Jen:  Skinny jeans don't look good on anyone.  If you are chunky, they make you look even bigger!  If you are thin, they make you look too thin! 
Jess:  That's exactly what I think!  I didn't know anyone else thought that way about skinny jeans because everyone has them.
Jen:  I don't!
Jess:  I don't, either!
Then we high-fived. 

I love her so very much.  It's been a great Independence Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment