In The Good Daughter, I explained how my mother has just had surgery on her foot, which has left her a prisoner to the couch and bed for the next couple of weeks. I stayed at my parents' home on Saturday night, after returning from My Small Town High School's Class of 1991's class reunion. When I told Mom that I'd be staying over that night, she said, as she said on Friday for the same reason, "Oh, good!"
On Sunday I had plans to meet friends to go to Mass and then have brunch in downtown Orlando. I was looking forward to it. When we made plans it was decided that I would meet them at their place at 8:30 Sunday morning. On Saturday night, I set my alarm for 7:00, and woke up on my own just before 7. I showered and got ready. Dad was crashing about in the kitchen making up the pancake batter for their own brunch gathering. When I emerged looking fresh and lovely, Dad offered me a cup of coffee and reminded me that Mom needed my services before I took off. I looked down at my watch: 7:45. No problem!
I should mention at this point that I had in my head that I needed to leave at 8:30, not be in Orlando at 8:30! It must have been a minor memory malfunction. So, I went in my parents' room, helped Mom undress, and gave her a spongebath. Nothing makes you come to terms with your parents' mortality more than the act of washing them. I did it the first time a few weeks ago when Mom had her initial toe surgery. It is an act of love. While I was working, Mom asked me, Do you remember when I would wash you when you were a little girl and I told you I was giving you a Mommy Scrubbing?
Ummmm.... No....
Well, now you are giving me a Daughter Scrubbing.
Awwww... Mom!!! She wasn't trying to make me cry, but a part of me started crying inside.
I made it through the rest of the bath, and then looked down at my watch. 8:15. I went into the bathroom to put my makeup on and then it dawned on me. 8:15!!! Oh no! I'm supposed to be there at 8:30! So, I called Jack to let him know that I wouldn't be able to meet him and Tiffany for Mass, and after a flurry of texts and messages, we settled on 10:10 at IHOP. Well, first it was Panera but then we changed it to IHOP. I was glad. I was jonesing in a serious way for multigrain blueberry pancakes. Of course, I could have had them at my folks' home, but I needed a break! Plus, I wanted my parents to enjoy their company without having me around. I tried to make it to 8:30 Mass at my parish in my small town, but I was late to that too, and I hate walking in late. So, I brought my things home so that I would have absolutely no excuse of not sleeping in my own bed on Sunday night, and... drove back to my parents' for coffee before leaving again for Orlando. I know, I could have had coffee at my own place, but it was already brewed at my folks! And yeah, I still wasn't quite over the daughter-scrubbing comment. I left again before their company arrived.
I hadn't seen Jack and Tiffany since before their summer vacation to Jackson, Wyoming. They went to Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, and Jackson Hole. I will admit I am a wee bit envious, but very happy that they had a wonderful vacation. They deserve it. Until just a few weeks ago, they had been in an Orlando-D.C. relationship for the past eight months. Jack lived here, and would travel to see Tiffany, and vice versa. Jack had been a great stand-in date for me. There were no romantic feelings, but he was single and someone fun to hang out with on the weekend, or a spontaneous meet-up on a weeknight. I love my friends who are married with children, but sometimes it feels like it takes an act of Congress to make social plans. Singles have the opportunity of being a bit more spontaneous with each other. But, I digress.
Jack and Tiffany are both attorneys in Orlando, but they specialize in different kinds of law. I think at this point I know a lawyer who practices just about every kind of law. This may be helpful should I ever find myself in need of a good lawyer. We caught up on each other's lives: I told them about the blog, became Facebook friends with Tiffany, and seriously chowed down on some good food. We had my favorite server, a middle-aged guy with a nametag that reads JP. He's very easygoing and a great server. Except that he forgot the milk that I had asked for instead of cream. I don't know why I don't like cream... I just prefer milk! So, I gently reminded him and he apologized and went off to get the milk. Problem solved. This had been my IHOP when I was with my last serious boyfriend. We went there most every Sunday for breakfast. It's not hard to go there now, because we've been broken up for over six months. But I have good memories. And fodder for a future post.
After breakfast I drove to my favorite Loft Outlet store for some retail therapy. I bought the most adorable black ruffled skirt with small white polka dots. It's very flirty and very me and I can't wait to have a reason to wear it! I also picked up a dress for work, a couple of cute t-shirts, and my new favorite blouse. It's white with coral flowers and it makes me feel like a million bucks-- even though I got it on clearance and cost less than $20! It was a great shopping experience and spent far less than I would have if I had been in the mall.
Later on I continued my day of treating myself and went to see a cute indie film at the Enzian called Submarine. It's about a quirky teenager, his quirky family, and quirky girlfriend. I have always enjoyed the company of quirky people, which I think is part of the reason I make a good school counselor, and so it was really fun spending the afternoon at the Enzian enjoying this movie. I don't often go to movies by myself, but it seemed like a good day to do so. I had had quite a few days with my mom's surgery and the class reunion, so it was nice to have some quiet time to myself.
Well... I'd better go. It's time for my mom's next Daughter-Scrubbing.
One time I had plans to meet my dad for brunch and I asked him if he knew of a place and he said there was this nice omelet place in town. When I asked the name he said "the International House of Pancakes." Jes and I still joke about my dad and his omelet place. She and i ate pancakes there every weekend when we first met and we both put on at least 20 lbs. I don't go there anymore. I guess my dad will have to pick a new omelet place.
ReplyDeleteT. and I would go there every Sunday after I went to my Weight Watchers meeting. I always ordered from the Fresh and Fit menu. Still do. They have omelets on the Fresh and Fit menu, too. This concludes my IHOP advertisement.
ReplyDelete