I wholeheartedly admit it: I am a HUGE Jane Austen fan. I think it was probably You've Got Mail that did it to me, the way Kathleen Kelly describes Pride and Prejudice to Joe Fox and proclaims, READ IT! And then there was Bridget Jones's Diary, which was widely touted as an updated version of Pride and Prejudice. It was no coincidence that Colin Firth, who had played Mr. Darcy in the epic BBC take on P & P also played Darcy in the movie version Bridget Jones's Diary. (All sopping wet coming out of the lake in a white blousey shirt!) Or perhaps it was Sense and Sensibility-- Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson playing sisters who eventually, after much pain and heartache, find true and everlasting love. It was definitely film that brought me to these classics, but when I lived overseas I read them all. Mansfield Park. Northanger Abbey. Emma. Persuasion. Usually on a train on my way to a company lesson. I liked reading Austen because I found the language exquisite... and the descriptions unlike anything I had ever experienced. It would always take me a few pages to get past the 19th century British English... but I managed and read the books as I would any others.
I own many of the movies on DVD (including no less than two versions of Pride and Prejudice-- the aforementioned BBC as well as the Keira Knightly version) and watch them at at various times when I myself am in need of a bit of an occupation. The first time I went to London I sought out Austen's portrait in the National Portrait Gallery, and paid homage to her writing desk on display at the British Library which, along with a pair of spectacles, had been donated by her niece. I have been to the enormous estate that portrayed Pemberley (Darcy's palatial mansion), and made a pilgrimage to the Peak District. There are many more Jane Austen sights to see, but they will have to wait.
This summer, I am having... the Jane Austen experience.
As a school counselor in an elementary school, I would typically get between six and eight weeks of vacation between June and mid-August. I spent last summer gearing up for my first year working as a high school counselor. I went to a multitude of workshops, and when I wasn't doing that I shadowed my lead counselor, who works over the summer doing all of the things that we all do the rest of the year all by herself-- plus gearing up for the year ahead. I was also packing up the contents of my house for storage, having an EPIC yard sale, and moving into my parents' home. It was a very, very busy summer.
This summer I had my share of workshops and training in June, but July has been all about... Austen. In Austen's books the people that live on country estates spend their time occupying themselves with daily tasks and socialization. They invent reasons to have balls, pick strawberries and have picnics, and work on making an acquaintance's portrait with others looking on. They practice archery, and hunt with beagles, and sit conversing amongst enormous bowls of sparkling goldfish perched on gilded stands. They cultivate orchids, and collect butterflies. They read poetry to each other by the fire, and memorize romantic Shakespearean sonnets.
I do not live on a country estate. I do not practice archery-- however, my impressive grandmother lettered in archery. I most definitely do not have access to the aforementioned goldfish perched on gilded stands-- although I would like to! What I do have, however, is lots and lots of time with friends. We meet for sushi, we make dinner for each other, we go on spontaneous slurpee runs. We go to chi-chi panini shops in Dr. Phillips for weekday lunches. We talk, we laugh, we share secrets. Mostly we tell each other how we wish we could do this more often.
Because we live in Florida and it's impossible to get from the house to the car without melting from May to late September, the temperature doesn't lend itself to doing much outside. That said, this past weekend we were given a reprieve in the form of lovely gentle breezes. Jerry and I dined al fresco at a German restaurant in Sanford on Saturday afternoon, cooling ourselves with giant steins of golden German lager, listening to a guy and his guitar. It was awesome. I am driving to my sister's town tomorrow to go kayaking with Sis and a friend who is visiting. I love to kayak, and am looking forward to what we might see on the river. I admit I am apprehensive about the heat (and said visiting friend), but I am hoping it will be a nice day out.
I've been spending a part of each day in the swimming pool. Today I did 70 laps, with up and back being one lap. 60 laps of freestyle (American crawl), five laps of butterfly, and five cool-down laps of alternating breast stroke and freestyle. Being in the pool is always great thinking time. I often lose count because my thoughts get in the way, but I always err on the side of caution. I counted 70 laps but in actuality it was probably at least 75. I do love to swim, and it's so refreshing!
My mother came by today. I had gone to my parents' house yesterday evening to make dinner, and I left a brand-new carton of organic milk in their refrigerator. We chatted for a few minutes, and then she hugged me and drove home. It was nice to see her, albeit briefly. I know that she and my dad miss having me at home. I know this because last night Dad pouted, I miss having you here! It's great having space again and everything, but I MISS YOU. It broke my heart but I know that this is the way things should be, and I love everything about my new place. But it's true... I do feel a bit guilty.
Writing Single Girl in a Small Town has been another great summer occupation. I don't know how much time I'll have to write once I begin working... but I'm sure that situations will come up that I simply must share! Next week is my last full week of vacation before returning to the office in August. I already have two lunches lined up.
It has been a great Jane Austen summer.
Sounds like it was indeed a lovely Jane Austen summer! I adore swimming too...and Jane...and lunches for no reason with friends. :)
ReplyDeleteBest of luck this school year!
Thanks, Alyssa! I haven't gotten back in the pool since my skin cancer surgery, but tomorrow is another day. :-)
ReplyDelete