Otherwise known as The Day I Couldn't Stop Smiling
My father and his best friend have known each other since they were nine years old. My dad introduced Uncle Rick to his wife, and they have three grown children-- a man my age, one my sister's age, and a young woman about 10 years younger than me living a very glamorous life in Boston. We all grew up together, fought together, and tried to understand puberty together. (None of us did a good job of that.) The joke in the family is that Luke and I were always intended for each other. What better way to celebrate the friendship between our fathers than for the two of us to fall in love, get married, and make babies?
I love Luke, but that thought turns my stomach.
About ten years ago we were at a Christmas party put on by Luke's parents, and Luke, who is a trained graphic artist, says to my father, I want to paint Jen in the nude. Dad turned to him and exclaimed, "You wouldn't know what to do with Jennifer if you got her nude!"
Oh dear. I can always trust my dad to say something completely inappropriate at any given moment, but I appreciated the sentiment nonetheless.
Fast forward ten years, and I am very proud to say that after a few years somewhat lacking in direction, Luke found his calling. He is training to be a Roman Catholic priest, and this past spring was made an ordained deacon. He is currently posted at a church in Orlando, not far from where I live. We have been talking about meeting for lunch, especially now that summer is here and I have free time to meet with friends during the week.
Today was that day. We met at a local BJs Brewhouse, which has an extensive menu and very tasty beers. Luke was late. He claimed it was a slow driver but I believe that he secretly enjoyed making me wait. We talked about what he's doing now, what he has coming next in his priesthood training, my current relationship (which I'll get to in a bit), and my dad. He also asked me about my hands, both of which are still bruised from the IV attempts prior to my colonoscopy.
It was a nice lunch. He paid, which was unexpected because I had planned to pay for myself, and told the server as such. I told him that next time we can go somewhere cheaper and I'll return the favor. (It really wasn't an expensive lunch, but I definitely appreciate the gesture.)
After lunch he walked me to my car, started to walk away after we kissed on the cheek, and then he came back, took both of my hands, and prayed. It was really lovely and made me feel good. A couple of months ago I watched Luke give his first homily at the parish where he grew up the day after he became a deacon. He's good, and I can tell how much he's grown since making this his path. As I told him, it's a really beautiful thing.
I got in my car and proceeded back to my hometown. Along the way, I received a text from one of my teacher friends inviting me to get a free Slurpee with her and her kids for Free Slurpee Day at 7-11. Yes! One of the things that I love most about summer is being able to make spontaneous plans with friends. A couple hours later, we were enjoying our free Slurpees, watching kids play at a local park, and catching up. It was really fun, and good to be outside, even though it's so blooming hot this time of year.
This evening I talked to my sweet via the telephone after spending a splendid Sunday in Sanford with the dogs, and I'm getting ready to put my swimsuit on and take a few laps in the pool. If you've been following the Jen and Jerry saga from some of the other Single posts, know this: All is right and good in my world, and we are exploring the nuances of couplehood together, just as we should be.
What about Jerry?! "All is good," PBBBBLLLBT! Spill it sister!
ReplyDelete;)
Jerry's back??? I think you missed a post! Details! :-)
ReplyDeleteNo details are available to the viewing public at this time out of respect to the happy couple. ;-)
ReplyDeleteThis blog is pointless if we don't get the details!!!! :o(
ReplyDeleteI hear your plea, my sister. I will probably write the story later, but for now be satisfied with the following:
ReplyDeleteFriday-- I sent Jerry an email.
Saturday morning-- He wrote me back. Later that morning, I replied.
Sunday-- Jerry called and invited me over.
That's really all it took. Yes, I know you want the juicy bits, but you will have to wait!
I want to hear more about this glamorous woman who lives in Boston. Luke is wicked boring compared to her... I bet... :)
ReplyDeleteIt's so funny reading the post now, all these months later. Jerry turned out NOT to be the man of my dreams-- and that's okay-- and I think a lot of folks are confused by the post title. I wanted something catchy but it really wasn't a date-- just two old friends meeting for lunch.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't say Luke is wicked boring, but I'm proud of his sister for following her dreams and working hard to succeed in her field in a city so far from home.