Sunday, July 31, 2011

My Girl Date

Last weekend I was the plus one for one of my oldest, dearest friends at My Small Town High School's Class of 1991 20th Reunion.  (This is well-documented in The 20th Reunion that Wasn't.)  While I was making the rounds with Amber as we prepared to leave, we ran into a couple of girls who had organized the event.  One of them, Linette, looked at me and asked, Jen, are you single?

Yes, I am.  I knew she wasn't asking me in an I'm-interested-in-dating-you scenario, but more accurately in an I'm-in-our-Small-Town-and-I-need-another-singleton-to-hang-with state of mind.  Then we had a conversation about how hard it was to find other single folks to hang out with in our Small Town, and how everything changed when our friends got married, not to mention had kids.

I'm on Facebook, let's keep in touch.  I had known Linette in high school only in passing; she was a year ahead of me and not on the swim team nor the drama club, and I don't believe we ever had any classes together.  But because our school was so small, and everybody pretty much knew everybody, we knew each other... we just didn't hang out.  Also, I didn't party.  I missed out on a lot because of this fact... on the other hand, I wouldn't trade all the fun things I did with my non-partying friends for the world.  I have a friend who married a guy who was in my class at My Small Town High School.  I was shocked when she introduced us.  I secretly thought, Well... he must not have been in honors classes.  She later told me that he stated, Well... she didn't party!  (To be fair, he had also missed a lot of school because he had a serious illness in high school, otherwise I am sure I would have known him!)

Everybody has their priorities.

Earlier in the week, Linette and I "friended" each other on Facebook, and we emailed each other yesterday.  I asked her if she wanted to go get lunch and see Crazy Stupid Love.  She accepted my invitation, we took another step by trading phone info, and I picked her up today a little after 11.  I had on my new adorable black ruffled skirt with small white polka dots, a snug black t-shirt, and cute little heels.  I was feeling very good.  I had also been to Mass this morning, so I felt at peace having spent some quiet time with God. 

Whether going on a first date with a guy, or reconnecting with an old acquaintance after several years, there's always a certain amount of pressure that goes along with a first outing.  Linette and I had a lot of fun-- we went to Panera for a quick lunch and traded stories about how hard it is to find a guy nowadays, and then went to see Crazy, Stupid Love, which was cute.  There were lots of truly guffaw moments, and there were sweet parts too.  It kind of renewed my faith in the whole soul-mate concept, which I've always not really believed in... but you know... a girl can dream.  My outing with Linette was successful-- we are both intelligent, well-traveled, and conversation flowed easily.  We've made plans to go see Twilight on Friday night at Leu Gardens. 

I love seeing movies at Leu Gardens, which is a botanical garden in the Big Town next to my Small Town.  The first Friday of each month they have "date night".  It costs about $7, and you bring a blanket, picnic food, and maybe some wine, and it is just won...der...ful.  I've been with real dates, with guy friends, and with girlfriends.  It is always a fantastic time.  It's like tailgating, except in the loveliest environment, and being a part of it makes me feel so special. 

After I brought Linette home I drove back to my place, spruced up, and then left again to get Japanese with "Cheddar", one of my great guy friends who sent me the following text after reading last night's blog post.

Ummmm... you're supposed to call me if you're severely bored.

Everyone has those friends whom they used to hang out with a lot, but for one reason or another (in my case, I just got REALLY busy) you stop hanging out with them.  That was Cheddar for me.  He's been a faithful reader of my blog this summer, and often posts on my Facebook profile, but we had kind of fallen out of the habit of checking in with one another.  We tried dating years ago, but we quickly realized we made better friends.  And we do.  So, tonight we had dinner at what used to be my favorite sushi place in the Williamsburg area but has turned into this really kitschy touristy show, complete with honking (seriously... honking???) and all kinds of funky knife action in the teppanyaki room next door to where we were sitting.  Frankly, all the noise was an insult to the senses, as well as the good food that Oishii serves.  (Oishii means delicious in Japanese, by the way...)

We left the restaurant before our ears were assaulted any more, watched some Celebrity Rehab on his television, and then I drove home so that I could do a bit of writing before going to bed at a reasonable hour.  Tomorrow I start back at work.  I can't believe it's the end of my summer, but I'm ready to go back and serve my students.  I'm really looking forward to Friday, and having another Girl Date with my new friend, who was my old acquaintance. 

We singles have to stick together. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment