Otherwise known as The First Dinner Soiree
Despite enjoying all that is good and wonderful about summer (mainly not being obligated to get up at 5 a.m.), I have sincerely missed my work relationships, especially the wonderful team that comprises my department at the high school where I work. Yesterday morning I called my lead counselor and left a message asking if I could bring her takeout so we could have lunch and talk. She called me back, delighted, and explained that while it was not necessary for me to bring her food, by all means, come by. So, I did. We had a lovely chat and I was privileged to meet our new principal, whom I think may just be a year or two older than me (and I am totally fine with that!). After we had lunch, I set up my new office, since we have been moved into temporary housing due to the refurbishment of the administration building. Our whole campus, in fact, is undergoing a transformation. While it will be wonderful when the construction is completed, it has been a challenge working on a campus that appears to be a war zone. I am all about rising to the challenge. It was fun going in and catching up and setting up my workspace so that when I go back in a mere three weeks, it will be ready for me to work.
After a couple of hours I left and ran a few errands-- the bank, my parents' to pick up the bathroom rugs I had left behind, to the library to return a few books and renew a few others, and the grocery store. While I was at the grocery, I ran into a former colleague who is my friend on Facebook. She exclaimed, I LOVE your blog! You are such a talented writer! (Which was nice to hear even if I think I am less talented and more willing to simply poke fun at my experiences for the sake of a bit of entertainment and occupation over the summer.) My answer? Well... if you've been reading... tonight Jerry is coming for dinner to meet my friends for the first time! We talked about what I was going to prepare, and she asked me about my dad, I asked her about recent developments in her life, and then we went our separate ways to finish our shopping.
When I got home I straightened up a bit, set the table, chatted with Chuck, and prepped as much as possible. Jessica and Julio were joining Jerry and I for dinner at my new place-- and were bringing the main event... a gorgeous, organic butternut squash that had grown in their garden this summer.
Then came the call.
This is central Florida, in the dead of summer, and we can count on thunderstorms each day nearly as well as we can count on the sun rising. Jess was trapped in her office because not only was it absolutely raining cats and dogs... it was windy, and the lightning was tremendous.
Not good.
My original plan was for Jess and Julio to come at 6, so that I could cut up the squash and get it in the oven, with Jerry arriving from Sanford at 7. He needed to go home after work and take care of the dogs, and it takes close to an hour to make the journey from Sanford to my town. Squash needs about 40 minutes to roast in the oven. My master plan was to prepare the meal with Jess and Julio noshing on hummus, carrot slices, and bread, and with Jerry arriving in time for dinner, and then we could all relax a bit together afterward.
Which is really what happened, just on a later schedule. Jess called Julio and had him bring the squash to my house, then she arrived shortly thereafter, with Jerry joining us about 5 minutes later. I got everything in the oven, started boiling the water, and joined in on the merriment. While I was working, Jerry kept offering to help, but I was in my element. I was wearing the... Apron.
I have this great apron.... I know what you are thinking... Apron... really??? But it truly is a great, sexy apron. It's black with a white lacy flowery design, a V-neck, and of course the requisite tie at the nape of the neck and tie in the rear at my waist. I bought it at Pier 1 about 5 months ago. It's the kind of apron I can wear with a pretty dress and it goes with the dress... or I can wear it with shorts and a blouse as I did last night, and it dresses up the outfit! Whenever I wear this apron, it makes me feel beautiful. Every woman needs an apron that makes her feel this good.
Last night I got to wear the incredible apron, share a bit of my world with my adorable Jerry, and have wonderful conversation with good friends, eating delicious healthy food, sharing good times. It was a lovely evening to remember.
You need to sexify that apron and wear it with nothing!!
ReplyDeleteCurious... I wore said apron on Sunday whilst making dinner and Jerry made a similar comment!
ReplyDelete