Saturday, August 6, 2011

Twilight... Interrupted

One of my most favorite things to do in Winter Park, the swanky part of Orlando (the Big Town that is near my small town) is to go to Date Night at Leu Gardens, which is the first Friday of each month.  They show a movie on a big, blow up screen in the garden, and you bring a picnic, your beverage of choice, maybe a candle, a blanket, some pillows, and you are set.  It can be a great night out with the girls, or a sweet, romantic date with your favorite man.  (I've been with guy friends too, and that is just as fun-- although I can't curl up with them!) 

I have seen a number of movies at Leu Gardens, and while I am occasionally disappointed in the film, I have never been disappointed in the experience.  I always get there early, because I have a particular area that I think is the best vantage point for the blanket-goers.  Some folks bring chairs-- it is crucial not to have a chair in front of the blanket lest one not be able to see the movie in the reclining position.  When I arrive there's always plenty of space, and if the person I'm going with has never been, they inevitably say something like See?  We didn't have to get here so early!

Just wait.

By 7:30, the entire field is full of blankets and chairs-- even tables-- people drinking out of real wine glasses and feasting on yummy prepared foods picked up at Too Jays or another favorite chichi gourmet shop.  My food usually comes from Publix, my grocery store of choice.  (I am from My Small Town after all!)  I pick up hummus, pita chips, a couple of Cedar's brand prepared salads, maybe some fruit salad, some cheese, a bottle of fancy water, and a bottle of wine.  I like Fish Eye for this event because it has a screw top and eliminates the need to bring a bottle opener.  After indulging in all the good eats, you relax, hang out, and wait for the movie to start.  The nice folks at Leu Gardens have music playing for our listening pleasure, so it is quite the scene!  Once the movie starts, you just lay back, and enjoy the show, surrounded by the beauty of the gardens and a couple hundred people who know about the best kept secret on the first Friday of each month.

Until now.  (Really, it's not as great as it sounds... you don't want to go, do you?)

So, I had plans with my friend Linette, another great single, to go see Twilight at Leu Gardens last night.  We thought that there was a possibility that it would get rained out, so we created a Sand Lake Road contingency plan in the event of inclement weather.  I kept my eye on the elements all day, and at 5:00 there was just one big cloud overhead in My Small Town that didn't look all that threatening.  We decided to go for it.  I went to Publix and picked up most of what I described above.  We had watermelon in the fridge yesterday left over from an out of town visitor last weekend, so I cut it up and put it in the cooler as well.  Linette picked me up, and we were on our way!

As we got closer to Orlando, we started noticing that while the car was bathed in gorgeous, lovely sunshine, there was a ring of dark, wet, nastiness all around us.  And we were heading straight for the worst of it.  I looked up Winter Park on the Weather Channel app on my phone.  (Seriously, what did we do before we had the internet in our pockets?)  Winter Park was RED.  Uh oh.

I think I should call Leu Gardens.  

Okay.

Sure enough, the message on the phone informed me that Twilight was in fact postponed for a later date.  De-nied. 

We started talking about what to do instead.  We had previously discussed going to The Vines on Sand Lake because I have a $50 Groupon that expires in a few weeks.  But when I was so hopeful that the weather gods would cooperate, I didn't print the Groupon.  Also, I dressed for Twilight-- my favorite ripped blue jeans, a black rhinestone belt, black v-neck t-shirt, and black Guess flip flops that click-clack when I walk.  Kind of a preppy goth look.  (I know, that's a contradiction in terms!)  Hardly what one wears to a cool jazzy wine bar.  (Although Linette looked fabulous in her silver and black sequined tank top!)  So, we settled on Bar Louie.  Linette was kind enough to drop me off at the door, but we both made it inside just before all hell broke loose outside. 

It has been a loooonnnggggg time since I was out with a girl on a Friday night in a place that might be considered part of the singles scene.  I gave my standard check-in name with the hostess, she took my phone number and said she'd call when the table was ready, in about ten minutes.

No problem.

We walked around the bar area, trying to scope out a couple of chairs.  There was even an outside covered bar area... still, no empty chairs.  At least, not two together.  This is a happening place on a Friday night.  I was wishing I had on my new magical flirty skirt that's all cool and ruffly and polka-dotted, that just screams, Stand up, give me your chair, buy me a drink and chat me up!  I didn't, and they didn't.  But that's okay.  We returned to the waiting area and a few minutes later were called to the table.

We may not have enjoyed a cool movie in the garden, but we ate, we drank, we people watched, and we talked about everything fun that people talk about when they're out on a Friday night.  The busser looked like Antonio Sabato Jr. (How long has it been since you thought of him?) with what appeared to be blush in his cheekbones.  Or maybe they really were that defined.  Our server had Ryan Reynolds' eyes.  It was most enjoyable to be out and a great way to kind of dip my toe back in the water.  Sometimes having a great event... interrupted... can create the space for a different experience that wasn't what was expected, but just as wonderful nonetheless.  You just have to roll with weather gods.  And maybe pray a bit harder next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment