Monday, August 15, 2011

The Sound of Silence

Today Joe, whom I wrote about in Football for Dummies Parts 1 and 2, and I met at the Cheesecake Factory at the swanky mall at the Biggish City near my Small Town for dinner.  He had texted me earlier today to apologize for not getting back to me sooner... we had been trying to meet up for over a week.  Even though Joe and I are no longer a couple, we tremendously respect each other's opinion, and enjoy the time we spend together.  I knew that Joe would be in his most excellent attorney clothes, so I showered and put on a cute outfit that included my new favorite magical skirt, fresh makeup, and blew out my hair nice and lovely.  I sized myself up in the mirror before I walked out the door, and approved.

A girl should take pride in her appearance when she meets someone for dinner, no matter what their history.  Especially if he will be wearing a suit. 

Joe had already scored a table when I arrived.  We ordered drinks, and perused the menu in search of something delectable to satisfy our empty stomachs.  I decided on the Jamaican Spicy Pepper Shrimp, which came with rice, plantains, black beans, and mango salsa.  Oh my goodness.  It was hurt yourself good.  In fact, I only consumed about half of the dish, and walked out thinking I would probably be just fine if I didn't eat again until Wednesday. 

I don't like to get that uncomfortably full, but it snuck up on me!  Nearly two hours later, I'm happy to report that I'm feeling much better.  Joe was pretty stuffed as well.

Tonight was the first time we had seen each other after I had written the posts, at his request, about our relationship.  We caught up on the new developments in each others' lives, then tackled the blog. 

Joe, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

Jen, it didn't hurt, it just stung.

We looked at each other, knowing exactly why it stung so... it was a detailed account of our breakup, right there in black and white.  (Or black and seafoam green, as the case may be.)  I looked at him, and put my hand out, and he grabbed it, and I put my other hand on top of his.  We didn't say anything for a moment.  His eyes met mine... I know, Jen.  

I didn't have to tell him that I miss him, and he didn't have to say that he misses me.  The silence said it all.

Our relationship has evolved into a comfortable friendship.   Do we wish it could be different?  Probably.  But if I had to choose between friendship and nothing... I'll take friendship.  At least then I can catch up with Joe, lend an ear when he needs one, and offer my bit of counsel.  He does the same for me.  I sometimes ask myself if I could ever go back... All I know for sure, is that for now, we are both moving forward, apart, and that is what is best for both of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment