Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Franken-Jen

Otherwise known as... No Longer in Stitches.

This morning I woke up to my beeping alarm (no pun intended) at my usual going-to-work time... 5 a.m.  I hate rising that early, even though I am a morning person.  Since getting my iPhone, I typically spend the first 15 minutes of the day checking email, NPR.org, and of course, the stats on Single.  Anything to prolong getting out of bed and actually starting my day.  Once out of bed my daily routine is as follows:

1.  Brush teeth so that my mouth is minty fresh.
2.  Shower, getting clean and lovely.
3.  Dry off and moisturize-- key for keeping my skin touchable and un-lizardlike
4.  Find clothes for the day.  I actually try to decide the night before what I'll be wearing in order to hasten this process.  I am usually successful-- but not always.
5.  Get dressed.  (Enough said.)
6.  Dry hair and begin putting on makeup. (Foundation, powder, blush, eye shadow, and clear mascara. Hey-- it's a process.)  I'd really like to know why it is that in nature it's the males who are so beautiful and the females who are brown and natural!  How is it that humans got it wrong? 
7.  Breakfast!  Vanilla Greek fat-free yogurt mixed with defrosted frozen blackberries.  Sometimes in addition to an English muffin with exactly two teaspoons of Skippy's Natural Peanut Butter.  Sometimes with just a glass of organic skim milk.  Nowadays, always with coffee.  I am learning that the coffee bean is my friend, weekends or not.
8.  Brush teeth again.  Sometimes floss, sometimes not.  (I am lazy and my gums pay for it.) 
9.  Lipstick!  (I think my mouth is my best feature although it is fairly constantly chapped of late.)
10.  Shoes on, check purse for office keys, and I'm out the door. 

Yesterday as I was getting into the car the guy next door made eye contact greeted me, Good morning!

Good morning!  I'm Jennifer.

He started crossing the lawn, so I met him halfway.  I'm Giovanni.  I told him that Chuck was my roommate, and that this house had been my childhood home... Then Chuck pulled up in his truck, which offered me a chance to say, I've gotta get to work.  When I later relayed this story to my friend Shari she looked at me and said, Uh-uh... no more neighbors!!!  

What? I was just being friendly!


Sheesh.  Can't even be neighborly anymore...

Musical sidebar-- Faster by Matt Nathanson is on.  It's one of my favorite songs, and I makes me think of Jerry, because I had heard it in the car so often going to or from Sanford this summer.  Whenever I heard it, it made me smile, because that was how I felt about him.  He made my heart beat faster.  (If you don't know the song, click on the link above and enjoy!)

Sigh.

In the past couple of days I've been getting a number of winks and messages from new Match suitors.  No dates yet... but I know that day is coming.  When it does, my date will meet Franken-Jen.  

This morning the stitches were removed from skin cancer surgery described in Sun… Burned.  I am no longer supposed to wear a bandage on my arm, so I have an ugly, swollen two-inch incision on my left forearm for the world to scrutinize.  Not only that, it’s shiny, because it’s covered in ointment, in order to help minimize the scarring.  Everywhere I went today, people would talk to me and stare at the wound.  At Publix alone, where I dropped by this afternoon to pick up my favorite frozen pizza (Publix Organic Spinach and Feta—so good!) the produce stocker, the checkout lady, even the other customer in line next to me, all had tunnel vision when it came to my arm.  So, when I witnessed the direction of their glance, I was candid.  I had surgery to remove a skin cancer two weeks ago… the stitches came out this morning.  The lady at the checkout showed me where she had had cancers removed, and gave me the best advice:   Keep your clothes on… and wear sunscreen.  

One month ago I had man who kept me in stitches.  Now I’m a little bit wounded.  In two weeks, my arm will heal well enough to go dancing.  My heart might take a bit more time.  In the meantime, I’ll be Franken-Jen... I'll keep my clothes on... and I'll wear sunscreen.



No comments:

Post a Comment