Sunday, November 6, 2011

Learning to Follow on a Friday Night-- Part 1

Otherwise known as... Decisions, Decisions...

I had a dilemma this past week.  Being the first Friday of the month, Leu Gardens was showing its monthly movie in the garden, which I love attending more than almost anything else on a Friday night in the Biggish City near My Small Town.  (My love of this event is chronicled in Twilight... Interrupted.)  I had texted my friend Jack on Monday to see if he was up for a Friday night out, and didn't hear back from him for a few days.  Well, he actually responded two days later, but I didn't get the text until Friday morning. (I had already made my decision by then.)

The alternative to Leu Gardens was salsa class.  My partner in crime, Linette, was going Friday night and thought she might test up to Intermediate 1, which is the level I am at now.

I kind of wanted to be there to see it.

Plus, as regular readers know, I am addicted to salsa.

Leu Gardens, salsa... Leu Gardens, salsa... decisions, decisions.

An additional factor was the monthly meeting of former colleagues at our local Chili's happening Friday at the magical five o'clock hour.  This group included Marcy, whom I wrote about in Single Girl, Incognito.  I will do almost anything to spend at least a little bit of time around Marcy.  She is love, peace, and positivity, personified.  Last month when she contacted me for the gathering, already had plans but managed to swing by for a few minutes.  This month, however, I told Linette that I would just meet her at class rather than our customary Friday night pre-class meal.  (Which we actually haven't had in about a month because we've both been so busy, so perhaps I should call it our formerly customary Friday night meal)  If I went to Leu Gardens, I couldn't see Marcy and the girls. 

Salsa-- and Marcy-- won.  After work I drove home, showered and spruced up, then left for dinner at Chili's.  I was the first to arrive after our organizer, and met Marcy at the table.  We hugged, and sat down.  She examined my face.  Jen, you look really pretty, with your lipstick and your eye shadow...

Thanks, Marcy!  I know it's vain, but I never tire of being told that I look nice.  I think it's probably wrong to think that way, but there you have it... I am a little vain.  Perhaps everyone is... Vanity is what sends us to the mirror each morning isn't it? 

Sorry-- that was a teeny tiny vanity detour.

Marcy and I talked about everything under the sun.  Friends arrived, and we talked some more.  We demolished two baskets of chips and salsa before our dinner arrived.  To be fair, our order took a LONG time to come to the table, and we were really hungry!  Our group was smaller than usual, but that allowed for more intimate conversation.  At one point, I excused myself to use the washroom, thinking that the old adage that the food would come while I was gone would truly work, and Marcy followed me.  We took the opportunity to finish something we had started talking about before everyone got to the table.  I felt privileged to have Marcy to myself again for just a couple of minutes.

She really is that special.   

When we returned to the table, our food still hadn't arrived.  Eventually, though, it did, and conversation turned to school-related topics, which is always the way among teacher-folk.  We just can't help but to talk shop.

Soon, the time was drawing close to seven, and I paid my bill and took my leave. It was time... to dance.  I was ready.

Addendum:  The author has divided this post into two parts.  There's just too much to write about to keep it all one post, and the author appreciates the time the reader devotes to reading a post and doesn't want to distract the reader for too long from much more important tasks in a day, like doing laundry or washing dishes.  Or vacuuming.  Or walking the dog.  You get the idea.  :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment