Otherwise known as Crazy Busy, and Balanced...
This week I took a mini-break from writing. It was my first post-boot camp week and I enjoyed the little bit of downtime that this provided after the marathon of activities last weekend.
Monday I thought I could barely make it through the workday...
But I did.
Tuesday and Wednesday I ran three good miles at My Small Town Lakefront. I worked on increasing speed this week, and pushing myself. I have been supposed to do that each week leading up to now, but since I was just getting back into running, I didn't want to stress my legs too much, and honestly, with the two sessions boot camp on the days I wasn't running during the week, I was just thrilled to be out on the running course. Now, though, I feel strong enough to go a bit faster than an easy jogging pace.
Thursday afternoon I met my good friend Kelly for a much-needed therapy session at our local Aussie-themed restaurant. We hadn't had a chance to see each other in a couple of months, so we were long overdue for rich conversation regarding the state of school counseling, my forays into distance-running and salsa, and her upcoming adventures in real estate. Kelly is one of those people who has a great way of making her point known. She is confident, and expresses herself exceedingly well. I am still a work-in-progress in that area, but that's one of the reasons our friendship works. Her insightful remarks have given me much food for thought. I told her that I had taken a few days off from writing because I needed a break. (Plus, I feel like readers get tired of hearing about the same topics over and over again!)
Jen, I am glad to know you are human... I thought you had turned into some kind of Transformer! Only a machine could keep up your schedule! We laughed.
No, I'm not quite a Transformer. I get tired, and I am forced to slow down when my body lets me know most emphatically it's had enough. I supposed I could ignore the signals, and keep pushing, but why would I do that? Everything suffers when folks are spread too thin. Being single, I have the luxury of only thinking of myself (and my cat) when I need to calm my crazy schedule. I have to give credit to the amazing mothers and fathers who go about organizing their schedules-- and their children's.
On Monday, when I was just trying to make it through the day, I knew I wasn't serving my students as well as I could be if I had had a restful weekend. Every weekend doesn't have to be crazy busy, but the occasional crazy busy weekend is to be expected. This weekend I have arranged a nice balance of spending time with friends, a bit of cleaning, and a bit of time to reflect, read, and yes, write. I hope your weekend is equally balanced.
No comments:
Post a Comment