Today was a bit chilly in My Small Town. Over the weekend I had checked on the upcoming temperatures of the week, and I knew today would be cool enough to wear my awesome new striped sweater-dress that I had bought for Thanksgiving in Georgia. Not only was it cool enough to wear the dress, I put on a cashmere scarf that my Japanese mother, Yon-chan, gave me about 10 years ago, and my long dress coat.
Let's not forget the polka-dotted heels.
I did not look like I belonged at My Small Town High School, but I loved the outfit. All day long I had an extra spring in my step because of my clothes. I feel silly writing this, but it's true.
We got our FCAT retake results back today, and I spoke to seniors all day long about whether or not they passed, and what they needed to do in the event that they didn't. Once again, the agony and the ecstasy. I had tears of happiness-- and defeat-- shed in my office throughout the day. It was emotionally draining, even though I was wearing the coolest clothes in my wardrobe, possibly ever. (And I must say I'm really not as shallow as that statement makes me sound!)
Tomorrow I'll be giving the juniors the same news. I have over fifty students scheduled to grace my office space. That's a big day. And two periods of the day I'll be in the media center helping seniors apply for Bright Futures, a scholarship sponsored by the state of Florida to assist hard-working students with tuition costs. I am not sure yet what I'll be wearing, but it will be smashing.
I'll definitely be needing the energy boost that a cute outfit gives me.
Although I cannot handle New England winters, and I am a second generation native Floridian, I am a New Englander at heart. I love cold-weather clothes, and the crispness in the air that is the New England fall. There's nothing like it. (Which is why I make an annual trek to Massachusetts each October.)
Sometimes we need a little extra something to get us through the day. In my case, even though I worked until 6:30 this evening to prepare for my big day tomorrow, my clothes got me through.
The clothes may make the man, but they change the woman.
Now it's time to shower and get ready for salsa class, where I can leave all these thoughts of work behind, and focus on one two three.... five six seven...
Dare I ask how "cold" it actually was outside? LOL
ReplyDeleteAll that matters is that is was cold enough to wear tights and a sweater-dress! If you must get technical, though, the high today was in the upper 60s. It was a beautiful day-- don't be jealous! :-)
ReplyDelete