Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Groupon That Wasn't

Otherwise known as Looking for a Dinner Date...

Has this ever happened to you?  You are sitting on the couch, relaxing and cringing at the same time while watching a particularly creepy episode of Criminal Minds, when a badge flashes up on your iPhone.  $20 for $40 worth of Food at Trendy Restaurant in Chi Chi Area. 

Wow!  That's would be SO MUCH FUN!  (Or so delicious, so cheap... you are full of positive adjectives to describe this eatery...)  You buy the Groupon, and look forward to the fun evening out with one of your closest friends-- or spouse (if unlike myself you happen to be blissfully coupled).

Each weekend, you know that the Groupon is there... waiting to be used.  Each weekend, other things come up that take precedence over giving the trendy restaurant a chance.  Finally, the expiration date is fast approaching, and you start to feel desperate-- you don't want to miss out on the chance to use the Groupon but you have to find someone who can go with you!  Somebody!  Anybody!  I have a GROUPON!

The whole of your social circle is busy.  And you feel ridiculous for having impulsively purchased this Groupon in a moment of weakness (or was it blind optimism?) that is now the bane of your existence. 

Okay... I am exaggerating.

Just a little bit.

The above tale was loosely based on my life this past week.  I have a Groupon to Greek Flame Taverna in Dr. Phillips that expires on November 16th.  When I bought the Groupon, I had all the time in the world!  This past Thursday I began to feel a sense of urgency about the possibility of not finding a dining partner. 

Now, I know I can go by myself.  But even I have trouble consuming $40 worth of food without assistance.  Luckily, my friend Jack (whose friendship history is chronicled in Frumpy No More)  rescued me from this tragic existence.  He and his girlfriend have recently broken up, which has left some open space in his social calendar.  I am at once sorry for the breakup and selfishly jubilant to have one of my my funniest guy friends available for my dining pleasure.  (But mostly sorry-- no one likes to see their friends in in pain.)

We agreed to meet at the Swanky Mall in the Biggish City near My Small Town at noon.  I needed to replace my rapidly diminishing Clinique foundation, and the Swanky Mall is midpoint between the restaurant and Jack's home.  My plan was to buy the makeup prior to our rendezvous, but time had gotten away from me in the morning, thus pulled up to meet Jack with no time to spare. 

As we drove to Dr. Phillips, we caught up on the recent developments in our lives.  I hadn't seen him since we met for lunch the day before my birthday (as described in The 1st Birthday Lunch...) so we had a month's worth of divulging our innermost secrets to catch up on.  (Okay... once again, I am exaggerating... just a bit.)  We parked, and just before getting out of the car I leaned over and conspired, We have a $40 Groupon, so we can get appetizers, desserts, anything we want!  

I love to eat good food.  I was seriously looking forward to the hedonistic pleasure that the Groupon afforded.  As we checked in, I told the server that I had a Groupon.  I'm sorry-- it's for dinner only. 

What?!  How could I have missed this most essential information!!!!  Jack started cracking jokes as we were led to our lovely table on the terrace.  The server was in stitches, and I buried my face in my hands.  What are you gonna do?  It was a beautiful Florida day to dine al fresco, even if it wasn't "free".  We had an appetizer (saganaki-- cheesy salty goodness!), delicious entrees (a gyro for Jack and a Greek salad with grilled chicken for me), and shared baklava drizzled with chocolate for dessert.  The food was amazing, just as I knew it would be.  (And yeah, we split the check.)

Before we left, I reserved a table for two on Tuesday evening at 6:30.

Are you free for dinner?  After all... I have to use my GROUPON!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11/14/2011

    As you were, I am sorry that you overlooked that it was a dinner Groupon.. however, I am very happy with the outcome ;) Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Lil Bit! Finally, the outing we've been waiting for! :-) And I'm taking you out of this Small Town!

    ReplyDelete