Friday, November 18, 2011

Just When I Thought I Had It All Figured Out

Otherwise known as... A Change in Plans...

Once again, I think this past week was one of the busiest weeks of my life.  Tomorrow morning I'm running eight miles, as determined by the half-marathon training plan I've been following to prepare for the January race I'm running with Linette, my partner in crime and all other things both hedonistic and painful.   In this case, relatively painful.  Sometimes when I'm putting on my track shoes I think, Why is it again that we're doing this?  And then I think, Because I'm supporting my friend, and pushing my myself in the best way.  

Yes-- I am... tired.  (Truth be told, I'm a word much, much stronger than tired-- I feel a bit like I've been run over by a bus!)

But you know... running the half-marathon will feel so good... when it's over.  In the meantime, I really am enjoying the training.  Really.  The endorphins are awesome, and I love eating whatever my heart desires.  Especially with the holiday season upon us. 

So.... earlier in the week I had figured out that it's two miles from my house to the start of the running path at My Small Town Lakefront, and that I could run the two-mile lakefront path, then turn around and run back to my house, completing the instructed eight miles.  All week I played out that scenario in my mind.  I felt good about it, and I liked that it was a path I hadn't previously experienced. 

At least not the run from home to the lakefront.

I know every inch of the lakefront like the back of my hand. 

Tonight, while talking with Linette about our respective training runs this weekend, she revealed that she wouldn't be able to run with the Tough Mudder group, which is her normal training crowd.  I told her about my home-to-lakefront-and-back plan, and she asked me what I thought of driving to the Slightly Bigger Town next to Our Small Town, leaving the car, running to Our Small Town, and driving back to the first car.

Just when I thought I had everything figured out. 

It's actually good practice for us to take a long run together, since the half-marathon is about six weeks away.  It will be different having a running partner, but different could be good. 

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment