Otherwise known as An Overseas Email...
About a month ago I received my annual birthday message from my dear friend Miyochan.
I met Miyochan, whose real name is Miyoko, when I lost my shoes at the company she worked for. You read correctly... I lost my shoes when I took them off and replaced them with slippers, as was the custom. I couldn't find the cubbies where my shoes had been placed, and it was late and I was ready to get home.
Miyochan found me, and although she spoke very little English at the time, I managed to convey that I needed to find my shoes so that I could go home. After we found my shoes, she walked her bicycle next to me as we made our way to the bus stop. I spoke the Japanese I knew, she spoke the English she knew, and we were two people from opposite ends of the globe, communicating.
Our communication (Miyochan managed to find me each week after I finished teaching my company lesson) grew into friendship. I taught her English in my apartment once a week, and when Pierre and I moved to Canada, she followed us, applying to the English language program at Acadia University (and subsequently moved in) about six months after we made our own transcontinental shift. We have kept in touch through email a few times a year ever since-- and she always sends me the loveliest handmade gifts.
Miyochan has been reading Single, and after getting her email last week, I had to share her fun, in some ways startling insightful, words. The following has not been altered in any way, aside from formatting the font, and removing Miyochan's last name.
Dear Jenchan, Nice to hear from you! I am very happy that you had a very excellent birthday! When I have a free time, I am reading your blog and having an enjoyable time! Jenchan, you always surprise me! for you are taking salsa lessons, training for half marathon, working as usual and have completed exercise with Chad!? Wow!! that's great!! What a tough girl you are! I think that you must be a planning your happy wedding! or joining navy?? hahaha I am just kidding! navy is joke! I believe that suffering is bitter, but it's fruits are sweet! Yes! There is always a way to improve your life! I hope you have to change the title of your blog to "A Wife and Husband in a Pleasant Town" very soon! Seriously speaking, when I see your picture in your blog, I always surprise that you look very young and not only cute but also inviting beautiful, so you should decrale that " I am beautiful! Not cute! " But! Jenchan! Not Work So Hard! I am worry about your health!! Please be careful get pulled muscle. Take good care of your health. Well, I will contact you again! Please give my best regards to your family! May we be forever young!! hahaha! Affectionately yours, Miyoko I. hope stay young.(^-^)v
Sounds like a very nice friend to have gained in your travels . . .
ReplyDeleteThis is true. Miyochan is a wonderful person who taught me a lot about Japanese culture... and friendship.
ReplyDelete