Ever since I reconnected with Linette this summer, I have heard about the fabulous the wine and cheese events at Vintage Vino that she attends with our friend Shannon. The yummy cheese! The delicious wine! The pairings of perfection!
A couple of weeks ago Linette texted me with the news of the next great wine and cheese tasting event. Are you in, Jen?
Yes!
We found ourselves sitting around a high top last night, surrounded by other like-minded wine and cheese lovers who apparently already knew that the crackers were meant to be palate cleansers and not actually eaten with the cheese. (Lesson learned the hard way.) We were given half glasses of champagne, and started off the evening with a delicious double creme from Provence. It was amazing. And so it went. The owner of the shop, John, would tell us about the wine and the cheese we were about to taste, and as we sampled each offering, satisfied groans could be heard throughout the establishment.
After the event, we stuck around for a couple more drinks. After all, Shannon was driving. I had indulged a bit more than usual, and this is how I know:
- There was a mysterious load of laundry in the washer this morning that included last night's jeans. Chuck?! How did these clothes get into the washer? Jen, I have no idea what you are talking about.
- I woke up with my earrings off. (Good.) And my watch... on my wrist. (Not good.) I never sleep with my watch on.
- I bought a bottle of wine last night that I thought was a Christmas gift for a lawyer friend (it's called The Verdict). Today when I took the bottle out of the bag the label displayed Groundwork, an extraordinarily delicious Santa Barbara Grenache that was our favorite wine of the night. I was genuinely bewildered and thought that Linette had picked up the wrong bag. She had bought a bottle of wine as well. I had talked about bringing Groundwork up to Georgia as my contribution to Thanksgiving. I guess I am. (I'll have to make a return trip to Vintage Vino for The Verdict.)
- John commented on the generosity of my tip and I have been wondering ever since if I over-tipped.
- Shannon said something extremely witty that I exclaimed was absolutely going into the blog... neither Linette nor myself can remember what she said.
Addendum: It wasn't quite the amount of alcohol that brought about this morning after state of confusion... the author doesn't recommend attending a wine and cheese event without a) eating first, or b) eating immediately after. The author and her fellow wine and cheese tasters failed to follow hallowed rule #1: A few slivers of cheese does not a meal make! One must eat properly when indulging in the fruits of the vine!
No comments:
Post a Comment