Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Hurt So Good...

Otherwise known as... My Splendid, Tingly, Legs

In He Said I Was... Perfect, I wrote about my favorite massage therapist in the whole wide world, Marc. A couple of weeks ago I went to see Marc and the experience was, in a word, painful.

On Veteran's Day morning, rather than reveling in the splendor of a holiday from work, I abandoned my comfy bed, put on yoga pants and a favorite t-shirt, and ran seven miles as part of the half marathon training I am doing for a January race at Disney World. Upon completion of my run, I called Massage Envy to see if Marc was available in the afternoon.  I hadn't seen him in a couple of months, and was feeling a bit unfaithful.

He was, in fact available.

That afternoon, when he asked me what we were doing that day I answered, Well, I ran seven miles this morning, so maybe we should start with my legs.  And so, he did.  Marc started on my calves, running his thumbs deep into the muscle that resides between my tibia and my fibia.

It hurt.

A lot.

The second time he ran his hands through my right calf I couldn't help myself.  Ouuucccccchhhhhhh.  It's okay.  Keep going, I just have to say OUCH. 

Jen, this is what you're paying for.  Maybe we should come up with a safe word. 

No, if I want you to stop, you'll know it. Ouuuuuccccccchhhhhhhhhh. 

Marc moved to my other leg.  I breathed deep and ouched my way through the pain.  We talked about what I could do so that my muscles wouldn't be so tight the next time I paid a visit to my favorite inflicter of pain that yields to pure pleasure.  Jen, stretch, then ice, then take a hot bath, and stretch again.  And next time you come, ask for a heat treatment.

I mostly followed Marc's advice.  After each run, I stretch, I ice, I take a hot bath.  But I don't usually stretch again.  I figure, I've stretched enough.  Don't you think?

Today I returned to see Marc, and I got that heat treatment.  He ran his hands through my calves, I breathed, and kept the ouches on the inside.  It really didn't hurt as much as it did before... probably because I've been following directions.  This time, he worked my legs last, finishing with the splendid tingly sensation provided by an application of Biofreeze.  How do you feel?

My legs are all lovely and tingly!  It's awesome!

That will last the next 45 minutes to an hour.  Bonus!  I still got to have great massage after-effects while in my car, enjoying the drive home, listening to my magical radio!  When I came home I changed into black yoga pants and my favorite black hoodie.  Comfort, simplicity... perfection.
* * *
On Sunday I twisted my ankle while practicing salsa moves in slippery white socks with Dr. Dance in my living room.  I didn't realize it at the time, but later that evening I felt my ankle uncharacteristically throbbing, and yesterday, I even found myself, hobbling. 

It's funny how we can hurt ourselves and not even realize it.

I've been resting my ankle the past couple of days.  I had wanted to go to salsa class tonight but thought better to give the inflicted ankle another 24 hours of rest.  Tomorrow night my ankle and I will be ready to dance.  And the hurt will have subsided.  Just as it always does.

No comments:

Post a Comment