Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Way to a Man's Heart...

Otherwise known as, It's All Part of the Plan... 

Great Argentinian Dancer (GDA), my splendid, unexpected, and positively endearing new beau, had been feeling under the weather on Wednesday so I made him chicken soup with a grated ginger, sliced mushrooms, chopped garlic, and sliced spring onion base. Chicken stock, poached, then shredded chicken thighs, and a little rice and chopped carrot rounded out the soup.  It was good, if I do say so myself.  (Yes, I know pulling out the awesome cook card is incredibly unfair and just doesn't give the guy a chance.  Mwahahahaha... )  He's feeling better now... although his nose has been a bit stuffy of late.

I really like having someone to cook for again.  When I lived with Mom and Dad, I cooked at least three times a week.  When I moved in with Chuck-- my awesome roommate-- this summer, he thought he was getting a cook.  What neither of us counted on, though, was that my drive to do anything more in the kitchen than heat up a frozen pizza was completely diminished.  I was kind of burned out.  I've since realized though, the real reason:

My cooking is all about a demonstration of care for the people in my life who mean the most.  That's not to say I don't care for Chuck-- we have a great platonic, cohabitational relationship-- but I just don't get the push that I had with my parents (and now GDA) to cook.  Last week I had an event at work that lasted until 8:00.  Chuck was cooking steak when I came home, and offered me some.  At first I refused-- it was late for me to eat-- but I relented when the irresistible scent of cooked steak permeated the house.  It was too much for my stomach to take!  I had a half of a steak... and it was good.  I appreciated Chuck taking care of me when I needed it after such a long day at work. 

While GDA and I were having the chicken soup, he looked at me and explained a phrase they use in Argentina in regards to a woman cooking for a man.   I told him, We say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

He grinned that ten thousand megawatt smile.  Exactly, Jen. 

And somewhere Dr. Evil is putting his fingertips together... It's all part of the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment